1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Oil Lines Replacement

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Robert Kirk, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Robert Kirk

Robert Kirk Member

Going through this 1996 FLSTF. I noticed the oil lines are getting a pretty worn look. They just look like fuel lines with simple screw type hose clamps. Don't think this is stock. Looking around I see that there are replacement oil lines that are what looks like chromed steel. There is also Braided Stainless from like Drag Specialties. A little pricey, but must be already custom lengths, with the fittings attached. My question is - anyone replaced theirS? If so, which is the better route to go? Stock Steel, Braided Stainless, or just the cheap fuel lines?
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I went with braided stainless (BS) and have been pleased. They can discolor with road gunk over the years, but that doesn't worry me. The BS on my bike have been there over a dozen years and look fine except where oil was burnt into one due to a unrelated engine problem I was having during a long cross-country run. Still, the line itself is not likely to fail before my heart does.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Clear coated braided stainless will last longer without discoloration,
    the Braided will be stronger and you'll get better brake pressure.

Plus they look good
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

These are what stock oil line clamps look like,since you said your just have the screw type clamp,fair guess to say the lines were changed,

s-l500.jpg

If the rubber fuel lines are oil rated too,they'll work ,just be very careful of kinks where they bend, so there's no flow restriction.