1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

OK another Oil Thread

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

I am having a hard time finding Primary Oil for my 96 1340 Road king, well can find it but it is off the wall price wise. Anyone on here running 4T 25-50 syn oil in their Primary? I can get a high quality 4T syn oil that I have used in the motor and running 75/90 syn oil in the tranny and seems to work and preform very well. I have used a mineral Primary oil in the past. There has to be a lot of threads with other brands like Harly Syn3, Redline, Amsoil, very few of these brands are available here on the islands at a price that won't hurt the pocketbook........ The Oil I am using is Valveoline full Syn 20/50, only 7.00 a litre. Sorry if this has been beating this subject to death but looking for opions on weights for each hole.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

I've run ;Type F ATF, B&M Trickshift, 10w-40 motorcycle oil,20w-50 motorcycle oil...I don't spend the extra money on syn oil in the primary and just use dino oil, Primary is pretty low tech,keep the chain lubed and help cool clutch plates is all the oil does in there,and change it with every motor oil change.
    Fatboy128 and Marc1340 like this.
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Me too. Regular Dino oil has been fine for 39,000 miles.
    Marc1340 likes this.
  4. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Fossil oil in Primary & Trans. workss for me
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

In my primary I use a blend of Amsoil 10W40 and some ATF. For me I found that the 10w40 keeps the chain tensioner happy while the addition of the ATF provides the clutch feel I like and made finding neutral crisper. My blend is 3 parts oil to 1 part ATF. Using ATF comes from recommendations made by clutch makers like Barnett who require it with their clutches but I prefer using this blend in my stock clutch to help with tensioner wear. I've run this blend for many years and miles without ever having a failure.

Whatever synthetic oil you select I recommend those that do not have a friction modifier like many made for motorcycles. I found years ago that when using standard oil in the primary my clutch would begin slipping. Using oils made for v-twins that lack the modifiers have all worked well for me.

The above is just my opinion and not intended to start another oil debate. YMMV :D
    Marc1340 likes this.
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Mobil oil says the Vtwin 20W-50 synthetic blend
    is designed to work in all three places on an HD...

Ive run it for 50K on this bike without issue, 70K on my
    Heritage, 30K on my previous RG
    Marc1340 likes this.
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I'm missing Cardboard!!!!
  8. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Thanks All, I did not want to start a war on OILS if I missed the first war lol. The ATF and 10/40 non syn is easy to find here, I never used it but will from now on....... I do like the 20/50 syn in the engine and 75/90 mineral oil. Have had some nice riding here since moving to the Azores Islands. Last year took a ferry with the RK and wife on 3 other islands, really nice riding although smaller island than Sao Miguel. I was able to put on 12,000miles on a 45 mile long island plus the smaller islands. We have plans to go to another island in June and in Sept I am shipping the bike to the mainland Eroupe and ride for about 2 weeks (A real dream of mine to ride in Eroupe) She runs great and well kept of an old lady 1996 RK. Again Thanks all, again lot of help!!!