1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

OK DUmb question area lol

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by sleepyjim, Jul 20, 2007.

1. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

Im getting my first TC, 07 street glide and WTF is MAP and ECM?

Where do you get the downloads from? I assume from the product site?

What is the upgrades I shoiuld be loking to do to free up the heat and get some performance, mind you im in the middle east right now and there is tons of heat and I dont trust many HD mechanics here so im lookin for the min till i rotate to US ina yearish.......Slip ons, new computer and???

Thanks for letting me ask dumbass questions.........the world has changed since my other harleys were made.....lol
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Welcome to the forum.
    WTF it is, is Manifold Absolute Pressure and Engine Control Moduleā€¦
  3. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

OK thanks, I guess I need to get reading, man how Harley has changed.........lol
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

yes they have changed....and probably for the better. more reliable and trouble free. the computer age has changed the autos for the better, and i guess the same is going to hold true for bikes. ( i would rather not have a puter on my bike tho..:( ) but that is the way it's heading.......
  5. Peyts

Peyts New Member

What, Chuck?! No computer on the bike? Come on... how else would I get to see all those avitar's that you manage to find?! :roflmao:
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

a liitle

The ecm is a module on your bike which is like the brain that tells the inig. and efi amoung others what to do. A map is a set of instructions which program the ecm. you will note the mention of a base map, this is the map which is in the ecm from the factory. hope this helps aliitle:D
  7. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

SKull thanks tons, now I get it, that explained it big time...........
  8. Biker_Trash

Biker_Trash New Member

Do yourself a favor Bro... Get a ThunderMax direct replacement ECM so you can tune it yourself and not have to pay the Rape charges that Harley will do you for.. RIDE FREE!!!! :devil:
  9. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

I don't agree with you about that .But hay each to there own. If I road a new harley as hard as I do my 95 FLHT I would blow that peace of sh#t up . Its not about being more reliable with harley . Its about $$$$$ the 6 dollar T shirt the wife bought me at wal-mart does the same thing that Harleys 54 dollar T shirt does . Biker life is changing at a fast rate . A leather coat a pair of chaps and you don't have to know the front from the back of a harley but your a biker . Now lets go on a poker run. Ya just what I want some guy riding beside me that don't have a clue about sh#t but hay he looks like a biker good enough for some guys . But not me
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  10. sleepyjim

sleepyjim New Member

11. chucktx

well at least we can agree to disagree......i been stradlin harleys since 67...got over 600,000 miles on em...and i can guarantee they are better now than back in the old days. i have sweated building springers, frames, engines,transmissions from scratch. been there, done that, got the t shirt....didnt pay no 54 bucks for it either!! paid a LOT more. in my shop i have a 65flh and an 06 flht. i ride them both, owned the 65 for over 25years...had the 06 a little less than 2 yrs and have 30k on it. i can attest the the 06 will run circles around the 65, 5times more comfort, but.....that ol 65 will draw a crowd where ever it goes....i dont care what is in the parking lot, it will have the most folk around it. but like i said, the 06 is the go to bike now.....comfort, speed, dependability, it has all of it. if ya gonna ride harleys, you dont need to knock them all the time....everybody knows that there not the best built or dependable, it is a state of mind, almost a religion. most folks dont knock there own religion, so why is almost every post of yours down grading the one thing that is supposed to give you joy??? i am not trying to be smart assed or anything, i am just really curious..
    thanks, and have fun....:)
  12. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

If you took time to read what I bit#h about its more the company then any thing. And Yes the new bikes Su#K and thats how I feel .And like you say don't knock what you ride. And thats why I ride a 1995. And like you say it is a religion .And yes they sure are alot better then they use to be and you can thank AMF for that. Religion is a frame of mind but motorcycle riding is a way of life . Maybe buy 2010 they will all look like the V ROD . I am not trying to be a smart a#s but if you can't see what harley is doing then you must own stock in them
  13. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

interesting

i don't have much experience and don't know much, but how is it that amf did anything to improve harley:confused: i've always heard they nearly ruined HD:confused:
  14. mwelych

mwelych Active Member

They came up with the EVO engine... It was about time that a new V-Twin come on out...:)
  15. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

Thats what alot of guys think. But the truth is if it was n't for AMF there is a good chance you wounld not be riding a Harley today. AMF steped and saved HarleyDavidson.AMF up graded there company with new machines and trained men to run them.Harley was going under there company was stone age and they had no money our a clue how to save there company. Most of the stories you hear about AMF is just that stories.
  16. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

I thought it was porsche and Harley that cam up with the EVO. And as far as I am concern the EVO is the best engine out there and they should just kept it . It is simple easy to work on and verey dependable.But hay thats just me
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  17. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I thought that HD and Porsche came up with the Vrod motor, the Evo I'm not sure that HD worked with anyone outside the factory, if any, it's really a derivative of the Shovel. Better top end. The TC motor runs circles around the Evo tolerances, fit, finish, power, ability to create power, and geometry is significantly improved. But the Evo is still a good motor.

For some reason many people have an issue with the Factory, but heck you can't blame them for taking advantage of the opportunity. I try and look at it this way, HD's get bought by a lot of people, those people may have a lot of money, many don't, still it sells a boatload of bikes, couple hundred thousand a year worldwide.

Those buyers keep blue collar, white collar, investors, janitors, third party employers, dealers, wrenches, indy's etc employed, their money goes right back into the economy, spurring jobs and growth, its as American as it gets.

Yep some of the stuff is outrageous, I don't know where you are finding $54 t shirts unless they come with a lap dance at Molly Browns :D though

Still, ya don't have to buy it, and you can ride what you want and have a great time.

If it wasn't for everyone getting into the act, HD might very well not be here at all.

And yes AMF saved the motor company, it was out of money and couldn't afford the equipment it needed to go forward. HD just didn't build stuff as well as it should in those years.
  18. chucktx

porsche and harley did build the v-rod together.....hd came up with the evo on its own.....;)
  19. ridehard95

ridehard95 New Member

I understand about the whole money thing and keeping people working. But what I don't understand is the way the motorcycles are becoming verey difficult to do anything with your self. Ya you can bolt on all the chrome you want .But as far as doing any wrenching on it your self they are making it so its about in possible. The car companys did the same thing. And it was to shut down all the small shops across america and force you to bring your car back to the dealer so they could cash in on all the labor. So on one hand your keeping people working in big companys . But on the other hand they are driving the small business man out of business ???? don't get it. And yes your are right about porsche and the V ROD and they also helped with the twin cam. But what I have found out by a close friend of mine that has been turning wrenchs on Harleys for 40 years is that a guy that work for ford went to work for harley. And he had alot to do with the EVO motor . If you take a Head off a EVO and flip it up side down and take a look at the combustion chamber and then take a look at the ford mustang 302 heads you will see the same thing. I just think that Harley is doing the same as the car companys .And that is to cash in on all the labor dollars it can. But guys like me that live week to week are the ones that suffer. And all the small motorcycle shops across america. Its just sad to see guys like me that helped keep harley the # 1 motorcycle all these years get Fu#ked in the end. Just big business as they say
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  20. chucktx

ridehard....i hear ya about working on the newer models.i have been building these things since the mid 60's. i have an 06 carbed electra glide. so far i havent seen anything i will not be able to handle my self, with the given tools. the older harleys also needed special tools to work on them. flywheel stands,truing stands, ect, ect.....you know, youve done it also. the only difference i see between the older models and newer ones is the type of specialized tool to be used in the operation, with one big exception.....on board puters. that is a big stop sign. it can be overcome, with the correct training and tools. im not going to get into them that far myself, i dont want to. my 4 wheel vehicles have puters...if something happens to them, off to the knowlegable folks they go. i probably will not look at new harleys with any intrest until they come out with the watercooled dressers. harley got a 2 year reprive with the govt. on the twin cams, so they will be around a bit longer, but the watercooled is comming. the govt says so. anywho.....there is not much we can do about progress....we either accept and adapt the best we can, or hangout with what we know.....im tryin to do both, we will see how that works.............................