1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

open primaries

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 88hog, Jun 3, 2004.

1. 88hog

88hog New Member

is there a kit or parts available to have an open primary on sportsters? building a chopper with a sporty engine and was wanting to have an open primary.
    Thanx
  2. CD

CD Guest

Not that I am aware of. Developing a clutch release setup would be difficult for sure.
  3. sportsterwidow

sportsterwidow New Member

have sportster open primary

my husband got tired of being told there was no such thing and that it was impossible so he created one. it's been on there for 2 years now and as far as we know it's the only one out there. his is a 73. he has never had a problem. his bike has been in over 20 mags since 2002 even a japanese one. you can email me if you would like more info. i'm online more often. hbettybooplvr@excite.com oh! it looks good too! ;)
  4. CD

CD Guest

I think the question was in line of was there an available kit.

Not everyone can seal off the oil passages and determine the correct pulleys and fabricate the parts. That is whay your old man's bike has hit the rags so often. He is the type that is willing to sit down and figure a way to get it done and that is what makes our industry unique.
    Do you have images to share possibly? That way the member might be able to figure out a way.
  5. sportsterwidow

sportsterwidow New Member

he didn't just seal off. he created an entire open ptimary system. you don't just need to seal off you need special clutches, bearings and such. i don't have any pics because i no longer have them on my computer due to a major crash and overhaul. plus the cord to my digi camera was fried in the crash. if you need more info please feel free to email.