1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Paints comin off

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by cardboard, Jun 20, 2009.

1. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Posted a while back about the paint comin off my frame and I had gone to the Harley Dealer.

Talked with the Harley dealer today, askin about the paint off my frame. He stated that Harley doesn't warranty frames. He said HD gave them 5000.00 recoop money and that's about what it would take to replace my frame, and he has 2 folks ahead of me.

He said since I've done mods to my motor that Harley states that any changes that you've done to yer motor you've Voided yer warranty.

I asked if I took a stock Dunlop tire off my bike and put a Metzler, what the hell has that got to do with the frame.

If I bought a stock harley and couldn't do mods to it I might as well have saved money and bought a Honda.

Told him I've bought 3 Harleys in the last 3 yrs. But since they don't want to take care of this I wouldn't buy another new Bike. I will git on forums and scream about the junk they are puttin out now days . I promised I would cost them more than 5000.00

I said this bike was a little over a year and a help when I was askin about this problem.

So for all yer Rednecks out there this is information for you on how HD is treatin their loyal Customers.
    [​IMG]
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

there is a link on here......hope someone can help me find it....about warranties and what and what not voids them........
  3. cardboard

Why should we want to suppost a company that builds motorcycles and don't offer warranty work when it had nothin to do with whats wrong.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

I would be willing to guess thats a dealer response rather than a manufaturer policy. I've heard dealers make up stuff on the spot just to get out of doing warranty work I would go to a different dealer and try again.

I have a copy of an HD letter concerning warranties but its in reference to using different motor oil (dealers used to claim that other oils void the warranty). The letter is along the same line that changing any component does not void the warranty unless they can prove it was directly related in the failure.
    Harley-Davidson Warranty Letter

You may want to write the factory. I often get exactly what I want with a well written letter.
  5. cardboard

I've been to more than one HD dealer. Been told frames do not have a warranty on them.

I
    m upset that I got a bike that was a little over a year old when I started this and they are draggin me threw this to try to git a new bike fixed.

It ain't right.
  6. chucktx

the only thing a dealer wants to do.....for the most part....is sell.....not much money in warranty.......that goes for any dealer, car,truck boat, plane............
  7. hddoc94565

hddoc94565 New Member

The only thing that the dealers hate more than warr work is to have a customer call the factory to complain about the poor service that they may be getting from a dealer. Getting the factory involved puts the determination in the hand of the dist serv mgr. they are more inclined to listen and then arrange to get your frame replaced. The factory only pays the dealer 15 hrs at 70% of flat rate. So warr work is a loser for a shop as it takes most techs 20+ hours to change a frame. My best time on a frame change was 16 hrs on a FLHT but it was about the 15th one i had done (alot of ins jobs) and you get good at it.

Good luck and i hope the factory comes thru for you.
  8. chucktx

sound advise there doc.............thanks!! and if ya werent properly welcomed......welcome to the board!!!! glad to have you here!
  9. CD

CD Guest

Cardboard,
    Is that S/S oil line touching the frame on the back side? It looks like it has chaffed the tube on the inside of the frame. If so you may have chaffed through the paint and corrosion goes from there. When I was down in Tampa all it took was a tiny chip off the paint and that salt air went to work.

If that is an oil cooler line the engine shaking will move that line like a sander and it will go to work on the paint.
  10. cardboard

Nope !

No S&S oil line or oil cooler. Try again man.:D
  11. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Nah,, I've seen the same type of thing come back at work. Some idiot cut a length of tube that had a big spot of corrosion, another idiot went ahead and welded it up, still another idiot painted/powder coated it. And, basically, none of them gave a ****, just so the paycheck was there. I reject alot of part blanks at work because of material problems, but I'm one of the very few. I could go into all the reasons this kinda thing happens in the manufacturing process, but it'd take up too much space and you'd all get bored anyway. Harley needs to step up to the plate on this one.
  12. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Give us the dealer name, and a few hundred e-mails from across the U.S. and Canada might change their minds on helpin you out cardboard. This is what the internet and forums are for, in the old days 1 ticked of customer might get around to 10-20 people now it is 1000's and the MOCO don't like bad press!! We will start with your dealer and work our way up to Willy G. himself if need be:rant:
  13. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Get management involved. Write Harley Davidson, start a paper trail. In this case, be the squeaky wheel, no pun intended. In the end, small claims court can work. One look at that photo says something's really not right here. Good luck.
  14. CD

CD Guest

Not S&S S/S as in Stainless Steel.

I simply asked that if that is a Stainless Steel line is it chaffing against the frame....
    I have seen S/S lines chaff through 3,000 psi hard lines on F4's and it can be abrasive as hell but, WTF do I know?
  15. cardboard

The wires yer seeing are wires inside the nylon shell they put the wires in, not tubing, it has no oil cooler.
  16. cardboard

This is the dealership I went to and seen JR in Service.
    The Ticket name is under David Box with a 2008 Black Harley Electra Glide Standard.

independencehd.com

If I had it my way I would have more than 1000 folks complaining to them and calling HD at 414-343-4056 at also. http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Utility/hd_contact_us.jsp?locale=en_US

independencehd.com

I started talkin to them at least 4 months ago about this, my 2 yrs warranty runs out in Oct. of this year.

I wanted everybody to know how good Harleys warranty is and what a great company HD is of takin care of bigger problems for their customers. Because if they do this to me and say the frame ain't covered under warranty their going to keep doing it.
    And on the 2009's they prize themselfs on the new frame they have build that weighs more and drags the bike back more from the weight.
    But you'd never be able to feel 50lbs more. :rant: :gah: :banghead:
  17. CD

CD Guest

Osomosis or Ahh soo...
    I always had a bit of luck meeting with the district rep when we were helping our customers out. Before AZ motorsports bought Tucson HD, the dealer would go to bat for you. Now, they through the bat at you instead. Before the buy out the service manager was a personal friend and he argued with the district rep more than once. He wouldn't cut his hair and conform so they found an excuse to let him go.
  18. cardboard

Called HD Customer Support direct. They asked what my Vin number was, I said its on yer computer look it up. they did and found it, and seen who I was talkin with, ask if I had pictures. I said JR in service at independence took about 25 or more of them, he sent them to y'all. you can git them from him or send me a email address and will send them to you. She put me on hold and called JR at Independence and called back and asked how many miles on the bike. I said 27,000 . Its my primary mode of transporation.
    She said she wouldn't make any promices but would look at it when she got the pictures.
    I said I was lookin at a 2nd solo bike and had thought about a Street Glide, but this will depend on how I've been treated since I've bought 3 bikes in 3 yrs.:rant:
  19. HellBoy

HellBoy New Member

Cardboard, don't forget that despite the background of bull%hit the Harley dealer has been giving you, the person on the phone just got here, so try to bring them up to speed without getting angry, which won't help at all. You have every reason to be pissed, but suck it up for now and solicit the help you need to get the job done first.
  20. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

thats no fun:rant: