1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

PCIII - 88", V&H Duals w/ SEIIs, SE A/C, & Stage 1 ECM

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by DeathWind, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

2006 FLTRI with the following mods

Vance & Hines Dresser Duals
    SE II slip-ons: A lot louder and in stereo.
    SE air Cleaner
    Stage 1 ECM
    Dyno Numbers: ? hp, ? tq (no dyno run for me, yet)

I am running a map provided to me by someone running the same mods. It's a modified version of the M807-180 map. This map was modified with minor changes after a recent dyno run. So far it is working pretty good.

Gas Mileage:
    15 June - 32mpg (single and 2-up city riding; next should be better since I got the throttle twist syndrome out of my system with the new sound of the SEs. May tweak the 1800-3400 rpm range a little leaner)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Time to tweak the settings

Ok, this is my second mpg check and it's staying around 32mpg regardless of the type of riding. So I'm going to start tweaking the settings and see if I can get it back to 38-40.
  3. CD

CD Guest

See my post in tech forum for a way to make changes without guess work.
  4. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Ignore mpg

My bike has had problems since the day I bought it. At the 2500 mile service I found out that they finally fired the sorry a$$ service manager at the local dealer (the same guy that said there wasn't anything wrong with this bike and that all Harley's smoke on startup). The new Service Manager read the 2 pages of problems I've had and ran some test, talked to corporate, ran some more test and found the following:

The front cylinder's piston ring gaps were lining up causing an intermittent smoking problem at start up. This was not a little smoke...it was a huge billowing cloud, and I took a picture of it 5-10 seconds after startup and showed to the 1st service manager who still claimed there wan't anything wrong with the bike. When they pulled the top end apart they documented and took photos of this problem on the front cylinder. It also had a sumping problem and was a very simple check...pull the crank case plug and check for 7 ounces of fluid. They removed 1.5 quarts....48 ounces. If more than 7oz then there is a problem so check the oil pump return side o-rings. Here was their list of fixes:

1. Recondition top end: deglazed cylinders, new piston rings, and replaced valve seals.
    2. Replaced oil pump o-rings and top end gaskets

Well the bike runs great now and I reattached the PCIII yesterday, after running with the stage 1 map for the last week. With the stage 1 map I got 43mpg city and some 2-up riding. Probably could bump that to 48-50 highway or maybe even in the city, but I couldn't stay out of the throttle after I got the rings broken in. The bike hauls a$$ now and probably would have outrun my 01 FXD (even at 147 pounds heavier). I loaded the 807-034 map since it is a little leaner in the cruising range. I put 50 miles on the bike today and it still hasn't dropped past the Full dot (it will bury the needle past the full mark when I fill it up). If my mpg drops, it doesn't appear that it will be as drastic as you saw in the earlier post (32mpg) and when I dropped it off for the 2500 service it was 26mpg. It's amazing what a bike that run correctly will do. :D

What peeves me is that the new service manager took it for one test ride and knew immediately that there was a problem. I have had this bike in 3 times prior to the 2500 service over drivability issues and 1000 mile service. So there were three seperate test rides after each visit and not one H-D certified mechanic recognized there was a problem...THE BIKE WOULD NOT SPIN UP PAST 3500-4000 RPM!!

Oh well, enough ranting. The bike is running great with the 034 map. I'll post some mpg numbers later.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Happy endings! That's all we can hope for!

They didn't charge you for any of that work, did they? And did they comp you anything?

On my 30K tune (I have H-D do the 10K checks) a Reno HD tech crimped the head gasket and oil flew out on my ride home. I didn't notice it, as the weather was too "interesting" then (snow/sleet). Anyway, I saw that I was oil-covered when I got home and so I trailered the bike back to 'em the next day. The manager there was real cool and apologetic and had his best tech drop what he was doing and fix it right away - in less than a 30 minutes. The manager also comp'd me the next 5K check (which I would have done myself, but free is cool). He even offered to buy me lunch, too, but I had eaten a big b'fast.

So yeah, nobody's perfect...but we all better know that, and be ready to make amends as needed.
  6. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Not a thing

Nope, didn't get a thing for my troubles, but all of the work was covered under the warranty. Waiting until the 5000 check to bring up the 25 degree injectors again. They didn't change them because they wanted the bike running correctly before they addressed that issue. The bike runs great, but when cold it stutters and stalls at the most inconvenient times. Got the PCIII on there and it helps, but hopefully they'll change the injectors.

This is the only dealer within 80 miles and they don't do things like comp the customers, discounts, etc. You know, all those things that help word of mouth advertising and customer satisfaction.
  7. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Hosers!

DeathWind - I'd suggest that you go visit some family/friends in a place that has better service and get any work done elsewhere any chance you get. Yeah, they fixed THEIR problem, but they made it your problem first. Should have at least got a free T-shirt!:mad:
  8. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

My own

I should make my own t-shirt...."I bought my $21,000 problematic Harley from LowCountry H-D" and wear that into the shop every time I go in.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  9. DeathWind

DeathWind New Member

Last Post

I am running the M807-034 map for True Dual headers, Vance & Hines Basic slash cut slip-ons, Stage 1 ECM and Screamin Eagle air filter. I entered 15 in the 0 throttle position at the 500 to 2000 rpm ranges. This eliminated a lot of the decel popping to an acceptable level. Additionally, I have the accelerator pump enables. I got 38mpg with some heavy handed throttle action. I believe this will level out to 40 +/-2 when I settle down. :D
  10. Jackdaluz

Jackdaluz New Member

Mileage PC-III Maps

I run my bike wide open. Use the 807-130 MAP...I know, I know...just try it. I get 44 MPG riding 2-up and no decel popping.

Just try it...It works!
  11. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

jack, what bike are you riding? & what mod's do you have ?
  12. Jackdaluz

Jackdaluz New Member

2005 Ultra Classic, 95", 204 cams, port & polish heads, SE air filter, PC-III USB, reinhart True Duals. It makes 100 hp and 100 Tq. The 807-130 will work great on an 88" with Stage-I ECM and SE filter.

J