1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Performance question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by dmassey, Dec 9, 2008.

1. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Hi folks! I've been looking over some of the discussion topics and you have some great discussion going. I recently bought a 09 Heritage Softail and am wondering about performance number increases that I should expect by adding SE slip ons, K&N air filter and having the FI remapped. I have not yet gotten through the break in period so I have a few miles to ge before making the changes. Previously I had a Vulcan Classic 1500E. I changed the exhaust to hard chrome dual walls, added a Thunder kit for the carb and a Kuryakyn breather. Ran real strong but still wanted a Harley.
    Thanks,
    Danny
  2. 82SPORTYKID

82SPORTYKID New Member

Hey

WELCOME TO BIKE TALK!!!!!!!!!
    DONT OWN A BIGTWIN SO I CANT HELP YA!!!!!

HONESTLY, IM NEW TO BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HARLEYS:rant:
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to Bike talk. you mentioned adding the SE slip on mufflers. I personally think the new SE Harley mufflers don't add anything to the performance. Vance and Hines or another after market pipe would do much more for the bike by allowing more air flow. The new SE pipes are to restrictive besides being legal in I believe all states. Hope that helps.:D
  4. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Thanks for the come backs. Any info is helpful especially when it comes from folks who have already dealt with the situation. I'll check into aftermarket slip ons othan than Harley. I would still like to find out some performance numbers - realizing that personal riding habits has something to do with the numbers.
    Danny
  5. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

I've got an '07 FXSTC that I added some Rush 2.0 slip-on mufflers to. No other change.

Here's the before/after dyno sheet.

Attached Files:

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Free flowing mufflers a SE breather kit and re jetted carb(or remap FI now) used to be the best bang for the buck mod. I think the claim is around a 10-15% boost in Hp.
  7. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Mustang joe - looks like you got marked gains in all ranges - low, mid and upper with the fall off beginning around 5K and crossing OEM at around 5250. All that with slip ons only. Not bad at all. I see you enjoy Mustangs. I have a 71 that I ordered when I ETS'd the Army in 71 - 178K and still a strong runner but I think I'm ready to sell. Just don't drive it any more.

Lucifer - the guys at the Harley shop had given me some numbers with the combination you mentioned but I had forgotten what the numbers were. Thanks for the reminder.

I need to post a couple of pics of our bike. You folks have some really good looking bikes. :)
  8. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

I'll probably be posting another dyno sheet in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to try some Khrome Werks slip-ons. I'm very happy with the sound and the performance of the Rush, but the chrome sucks.

Yeah....I've always like Mustangs. Here's my last 3.

Right now, my toy is the Softail. The wife has an '07 Mustang tho. ;)

Attached Files:

9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Rush chrome not good huh? I'll watch to see your posting on the Krome Works.
  10. FLHTbiker

The standard Vance and Hines according to the top performance guy Mike Stegman at Latus Motors puts out the best performance gains.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

ya can't say that with absolute authority that one pipe is better than another, especially when you add tuning, air filters, altitude, cams, compression etc.

I have two bikes I've tuned, put the exact map on both, using a Daytona twin tech, one has V&H true duals with Rush slip ons and one same duals with V&H

Both required different fuel at different points. Just the way it works.
  12. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

The KW slip-ons are due to be delivered tomorrow. I'll have them on Friday latest.

With the weather turning bad, it may be a little while till I can run it on the dyno. But when I do I'll post results.

You'll notice on the above dyno sheet that the air/fuel ratio was virtually identical before and after the Rush installation.

So either the mufflers had no effect on a/f ratio or the ECU made an adjustment.

My only intent at this point was to get a better sound. In time I'll no doubt add a high flow a/c and a fuel management system.
  13. FLHTbiker

My past experience has showed me that just adding mufflers did not give a great deal of change. Change came when the rest was added, high flow air filter-and a good fuel management system.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

KW slip ons with the HP+ baffle give a nice sound and until you open the intake air flow, you can get away without remapping.:devil:
  15. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

One final concern. Is ther any need to wait until I get the bike through the break in or does that make any difference?
  16. mstngjoe

mstngjoe New Member

Lots of guys have the dealer do the Stage 1 prior to delivery of a new bike.

I did a Stage 1 on an '07 Sportster at 500 miles or so.
  17. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

you can do it at any time....wont affect warranty..........:)
  18. FLHTbiker

Like others have said you can do it anytime.
  19. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

Out of curiosity I shined a flashlight in the mufflers of my softail yesterday evening and MAN how in the world do they breath? Unless I'm missing something, there was a plug in the main pipe and perhaps a dozen or so 1/4" holes in rows in the side of the main pipe. I may go ahead with at least mufflers.
  20. FLHTbiker

yep, wont hurt a thing and it will make it sound a whole hot better. :)