1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Planning a trip, Advice? Route? Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by RegnisnuM, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RegnisnuM

RegnisnuM New Member

Hello,

I am moving from Boston to Los Angeles and figured this would be the perfect opportunity to take a cross country ride. Me and two friends decided to take two weeks to ride across. I haven't thought all of this out or planned much yet, except that I want to stop in Boulder and Denver CO. A friend of mine suggested that once I get over that way, dropping straight down and avoiding the mountains by dropping down to the 10 and then shooting across to Los Angeles. I was wondering if anyone has taken this ride? Any suggestions on good routes to take? Places to stop at? Things to see on the way? (were all around 25 y/o so any good bars or spots along the way?) for the end of the day of course.

And....any suggestions on things to bring and places to camp out? or good things to do to prepare? First really long ride so any advice is welcome.

Thank you,

- REG
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

What time of year are you planning on? Also 10 goes to San diego not la that's just for starters , you wash clothes on the road so you can pack about a weeks worth , what type of bike are you riding cause they pack different
  3. RegnisnuM

RegnisnuM New Member

Actually the 10 literally goes into downtown LA. I grew up there. And have been on it a hundred times. Although it has been a while so I did double check on a map. Lol. I'm planning on leaving Boston around August 15th and I'm riding a 03 Honda shadow 750.
  4. HicCup

HicCup Banned A-Hole

Not sure when yer goin to to be doin this, but if ya take a sharp right when yer at the bottom of IOWA, I might want to hook up if you can. Of course this depends on when you be comin thru?
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

That's a long ride on a Shadow 750 but it can be done. Take your time and I would ride 400 miles a day or less. Are you tent camping or motels. Tent camping is cheaper but harder on the body. Drink lots of fluids (water) when traveling and don't drink a lot of alcohol at night, dehydration. Pack for a week only otherwise your carrying to much. Keep a cell phone charged up and bring a camera.
    Make sure the tires are new before leaving and check the brakes also, plus the battery. You may want to have a complete service done before you take off.
    Have fun I Just did a trip Last summer from the west coast to the east coast and then back.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Why would you want to avoid the mountains?! Flat land on interstates is boring to me anyway. There are plenty of beautiful things to see and do the north way. I've done the trip from Vegas to LA 3x and it sucks. Too many California gamblers racing to and fro. Lots of cops too. Flat desert landscape. Just a bit of my experience. Have fun!!
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Fl. to Vegas,Hmmm Getting me thinking..:rolleyes:
  8. RegnisnuM

RegnisnuM New Member

I was planning on do a mix of tent and motel depending on how things look along the way. Planning on at least 7 nights in motels. I was thinking about getting one of those camel back things so I can constantly drink water but I don't think it's necessary. Im going to do a full tune up before I go and probably buy new tires.

I was thinking about avoiding he mountains because of cold and I don't know if there are places to sleep while going through. Does anybody have any experience going through there and have a good route to take? And places to stay?
  9. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

If you know anyone who belong to HOG or AAA they have route suggestion cites to go to.
  10. FLHTbiker

Go up through Colorado and into Utah during the summer months it's not that cold there then plus the views are worth it. When I did my trip last summer we would stay at KOAs and sometimes call ahead and got one of there cabins, was well worth it. Cheaper than a motel and better than sleeping on the ground. Plus you got good showers and a pool at night. As for routes if your just trying to get there then stay on Interstates. They suck most of the time due to the speed the truckers go on them.
  11. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't want to run the 10 through Zona on a 750 much less a full
    lincoln town car, shiddy road, trucks pound the crap out of it.

Much better to find some back roads and stay away from the interstates
    as best possible.

Get a GPS, maps are nice but with the schedule you have you don't have
    the luxury of sitting around for long times picking routes.

CircuitCity.com has refurb GPS, garmin etc, get one for under $100, click here for A Garmin for about $75 HERE

and get a small ram mount setup for it from Garmin GPS & Accessories, RAM Mounts, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS at GPS City You can have it give you
    KOA, Lodging, gas, food and set a route before you head out.

Not like you're going across boston for a lager....

I've done that rand down through IN, MO, OK to TX picked up the ten to Flagstaff, then cut north through vegas then over to SFO in the late 80's.

Gotta agree, 10 is boring...
  12. FLHTbiker

Remember to that going on a more southern route could mean for hotter temps when riding with higher humidity.
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I did the 10 route on the way out Louisville, St Louis, Tulsa, down to TX
    across NM, to Flagstaff, up through back roads to Hoover Dam, Vegas then on to the Bay area.

Few years later came back through reno, Salt Lake over to Cheyenne
    dropped to Denver and back through St Louis
  14. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

I rode a 450 Honda from Cincinnati, Ohio to LA once and on a Sporty several times cross country when in my late 20s. That was in the early 70s. You'll be fine on the 750, just keep everything lubed and tight. Watch for tire wear and chain adjustment. I carried 1 change of clothes, extra socks and underwear. Hit a laundromat every 3 or 4 days. You don't need to carry a lot of stuff. You can find bottled water everywhere - why carry it?
    Have fun, ride hard.
  15. FLHTbiker

Hey Josh, I did stupid stuff to when I was in my 20's :D:D

It's always a good idea to carry a bit of water on the bike with you, you never know if and why you would need it. :)
  16. joshbob

Boy, did we ever! But I had great fun. Somewhere along the way I went into an Army/Navy surplus store and latched onto a sleeping bag & small tarp. Motels got expensive after a while. But I remember rates were reasonable if you rode close to Route 66. Lowest rate I remember was $7 in a flea bag motel somewhere in Kingman. 'Course that was equivalent to 2 hours wages in those days. :eek:
  17. FLHTbiker

Sounds like me only different locations, wonder how we lived through it. :rolleyes:
  18. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

August is the best time to go thru the mountains, and there isn't many wild Indians left. If you want to go interstate try I-70 great ride, lots of places to stop, 300 miles between Denver and Grand Junction. Have done it many times on a 750 size bike. If I was you I wouldn't want to miss the mountains. Best riding you'll come across which ever way you choose.
    Highway 160 to the south is a great ride also, takes you over Wolf Creek Pass and on down the other side.
    Highway 50 goes across the center of the state and is another great ride, lots of places for gas, food, drink and what ever ya desire.
  19. joshbob

Since you are planning on leaving in mid August, a northern route might suit you better. Like HarleysLR says, the mountains are beautiful, and cool, temperature wise. Southern route can get quite hot at times down in the flatlands. And watch out for sand storms if you're going across Texas. Happened to me all the way across, and by the time I got to El Paso, I had to put on a new chain. Sand wore it out.
    You're gonna have to cross the Great Divide somewhere, and in August, the farther north you are, the better.
  20. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

I happened to have ridden from NH to San Diego back in 2010 and I reccomend if you get to Denver to keep on I-70 West taking I-70 West to I-15 South. Scared of a few mountains? You'll most likely see views that would boggle the mind. I traveled the end of September thru 1st week of October and it was all good.

I went a little different and kinda screwed around. I ended up in Durango cause I wanted to ride the infamous highway of Death from Durango to Montrose(State rt 550). Once thru I continued thru Grand Junction on I 70west to I-15 south. I'm thinking since you're in Denver and on I-70 anyways you might as well embrace the mountains...you will truly be better for it. Nobody is more chicken sh*t fraidy cat them me and I made it.

You may want to peruse "Touring Tanks" and pick up at least a 2 gallon container as gas stations get sparse as you get past the mid west. The make ones you can connect to your existing gas tank and one that you just pack for extra. I hoteled it the whole trip when I wasn't staying with freinds. What I reccomend you do is when you call it a night and after you've settled in use the CPU to chart gas stations and hotels for the next day and see what towns are available up ahead and what services (gas/lodging/food) as again once you enter and move past the mid west and depending which way you go it can get sparse.