1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Play Flash Drive on 2014 Ultra

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by charlie46, Sep 2, 2016.

1. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

Hi all you computer wizzards. I've been trying to get my 2014 standard(not 6.5) radio to play music from a flash drive. I had it working once. Now it doesn't seem to recognize the usb device since I loaded a bunch of music on it. Wish I could just play all the CDs I had for the 09 bike, I know it's got something to do with how the music is loaded on the drive,maybe formating. The display just says reading if I sellect Media.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

3. charlie46

Thanks BI, but I got my manual right in front of me and I'm not gettin it. I'm gonna need personal instuctions. Too much tech for me to comprehend. Mabe I'll just work it over with a hammer.
  4. charlie46

I can load a flash drive up with songs and play them on my laptop but not on the bike. (&%$#&
  5. badinfluence63

Lol...no hammer time! Don't do it Buck!

The answer is in the instructions just a matter of locating the correct information in the table of contents. Believe me I've wrestled with a few issues over the years. Is something not turned on in your radio? Does the blue tooth need to be turned on in the radio? Why isn't the radio not recognizing the flash drive? Is it suppose too?
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

I THINK it has to do with too much info on drive and slow processor in the radio. Think of downloading a very large file on the computer: "Buffering, Buffering, Buffering" You said a few songs loaded works but not since you loaded up the drive. I believe they make drives that run at different speeds if so that may help.
  7. charlie46

I got this new ,to me, site "mp3jam" for downloading songs. Well I downloaded some SR Vaugn and Clapton. About 9 songs. Pluged in the drive BINGO worked beutiful. So I then loaded songs from my library onto the drive. Now it doesn't work. If I can't load an hrs. worth of music what good is it ? I know it's my lack of understanding that's wrong. Frustrating arrrgh!
  8. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

What format is the music in your library? You know that it recognizes mp3's on your radio. I am new to this type of radio and I am challenged as far as computers go. But all I did was rip a bunch of cd's to mp3 format, put them in a folder copied the folder to the stick and voila
  9. charlie46

MP 3. Moved music from my library on my laptop to a folder, copied folder to usb flashdrive(stick). Plugged into bike. nothing. Go to home on bike radio, select media, it goes to USB and sits there displaying "Readiing". PS if I plug it back into my laptop it plays from the stick
  10. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Maybe try another stick and put part of your library on it to see if it reads it?
  11. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Some sticks are slower than others!
  12. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The trouble is likely the "folder" you mentioned. All of the MP3 files need to be loaded onto the USB drive without any folders. The radio unlike your computer is unable to navigate down through any nested folders and is looking for everything to be all at the root level of the drive. Placing any folders on the jump drive is probably confusing the radio and it cannot figure out where to search for the files.

1. Back up all of the MP3 files to your computer.
    2. Move all of the files into a single folder.
    3. Format the USB drive.
      a) Right click on the drive letter for the USB thumb drive
      b) Select "Format"
      c) Select "FAT32" as the format if given the choice.
    4. Uncheck the box that says Quick Format. This will format the drive in a more thorough manner.
      WARNING: this will completely erase that thumb drive so make sure you backed up all the data on it. Do not accidentally select a different drive by mistake, there is no turning back once you format.
    5. Now that you have a clean drive, move each individual MP3 file to that drive letter. Do not move the folder since that may contain system files that you might not even see depending on your computer settings.
    6. ONLY load MP3 files. Do not load any MP4 files, WAV files, ZIP files, images, or videos.
    If this still does not work, start over and try loading only one song at a time, then test. Continue doing this until you reach a failure which will tell you what file is causing the problem.
  13. charlie46

Thanks Ken. I'll give that a try later today
  14. charlie46

Tried your suggestion. Still n.g.. Gonna get a couple new thumb drives and start over

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
  15. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think HD's system will be ok with folders, I've seen others say it works.

I've read a few forums on the subject and it seems some bikes just have issues
    with the USB port, have you updated the flash memory on the bike to the latest
    version?

Since it works with downloaded songs but not your stored songs most likely its
    a format issue with the songs...
  16. charlie46

I'm sorry but I think the new settup stinks.Why didn't they keep the CD player . I went through all the trouble of making fabulous CDs, now they make me start all over again. For the $$$ these bikes cost the owner should have the option. just sayin.
  17. hotroadking

CDs are the way of the dodo I'm afraid just like 8 track and cassettes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. badinfluence63

I get xm radio problem solved. Music of all eras,ESPN,nfl games what ever you want and too many things you might not,lol
  19. charlie46

With money you get honey. :banghead:
  20. hotroadking

Maybe yer songs are too old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatboy128 likes this.