1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Plug wires (resistence)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by skull2007, Jan 12, 2008.

1. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

when i test my plug wires i get about 2.5 omhs on the short one and 6.6 on the long one. i did this with the wires cold. i have two questions:

1. what is the normal range

2. should they be tested cold or hot

3. why don't i just say :wtf: and buy new ones and skip all this:gah:
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

I like option #3...... don't know the answers to #1 and 2.
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

are you having problems with plug fouling or some other problem??? and is it on your 06? seems awful soon for wires to be bad, unless your just wanting to change.....
  4. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

Ohm Values

SKULL,
    From an automotive perspective;the general allowable ohm reading is 10,000 ohms per foot.As far "hot-or-cold",I've never used that as a variable during a diagnostic procedure.Could make some difference,I don't think much though.
    A lot times techs over look checking ignition coil output(maximum kv from the coil(s).How are your plugs?Sometimes sparkplugs fail due to the internals being loose inside the porcelain section of the plug.Hope this helps some,00 wildglide:cool:
  5. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

no it's running good; but i got a volt meter for christmas and the weather isn't very good
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

oh . . plus when i was having promblems with the fuel line quick release it leaked on the one wire causing the silicone jacket to swell. it looks fine now, i thought i could test it, but now i'm thinking i should just replace the the wires
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

man glad you didn't get a temp dipstick, or you'd be starting an oil thread LOL
  8. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

My 2cts: replace the wires. Easy enough, and I've had my stock ones fail. I recommend going aftermarket, as I've heard (after mine went out) that HD's are not nearly the best available.
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

FYI you have to be careful on the later model bikes with the spark plug wires apparently the ECM is reading from these some information that it uses to make the bike run, get the wrong wires and it won't run or won't run well.
  10. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

heard something about that when a friend installed the lazer nodes from his old bike and it didn't run right, looked in the book, it said not for efi , took them off and went back to running ok. most manufacturers will state if they are efi compatable. so there must be a continuity variable that has to be met for the timming accuracy. so as to keep the check engine light from comming on.
  11. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

i think i'll get a set of se wires, now i'm working on the exhaust. i have v/h longshots with the baffles. i 'm running a piece of 5/16 through with three 1" washers. be fun to see how it sounds once i'm done with em. hopefully it won't whisstle:devil: