1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Plum Island and Gloucester,Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by badinfluence63, Oct 5, 2013.

1. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Headed out Thursday morning at 0730 hours and met my friend Mike on his '09 Goldwing at Denny's for a day starting breakfast of coffee, pancakes,eggs, coffee,cheese and hash browns, coffee. Headed back on the road by 8:20am. Foggy, cold and 45 degrees. By 10am the fog cleared and it was warm.

Thanks to his GPS we were able to meander the back roads of America to both Plum Island and Gloucester while passing thru scenic towns like Ipswitch,Newburyport, NOrth Shore, Peabody etc.... Saw many many cool things but because we don't have bike to bike communications I wasn't able to get as many photo ops as I'd like to. The biggest bone of contention I missed was when we passed thru Wolf Hollow in Ipswitch,Mass. I really really would have liked to stop and see that.

http://www.wolfhollowipswich.org/

One cool photo op I did get was in Gloucester. It was the Fisherman's Memorial for all those lost at sea. On the plaque with the names list for 1991 was the 6 seaman lost in that movie, "The Perfect Storm."

And you don't hit that area without stopping for fried clams and lobster so we stopped at Bobs:

http://boblobster.com/menu.htm

If you like sea food it was the sh*t. Prices weren't bad at all.

Coming home we took the express route back via st rt 128s to I95s to I93n. WTF.......traffic of epic crazy what? People knowingly cutting you off or trying anyways and at high rates of speed. It was a jamming parking lot of kill or be killed until we got past Nashua/Manchester,NH.

All total we did 335 miles that day. I like a GPS. Its not perfect but it does allow a rider to navigate thru some lesser known areas of back roads America.

I do have a few photos but I do not know how to post from my camera and it'll be at least another ride before I get the pictures on a disk to do so. Until then please feel free to say no pictures it didn't happen.:snaphappy:
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Yeah...That section has always been bad...Went to school in Maine back in the mid 70's...Portsmouth area in 95 is real bad too...Did the Mt. Washington Valley and the Kanc over to VT a few years ago...Beautiful country up there and great Lobster...
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  3. badinfluence63

Being up here in the North East, there doesn't seem to be any mellow way out to the rest of the country. I-91 south is as good as it gets. From there one can catch I-90, I-84 to make time. And a few other back ways if time is not of essensential. Any reccomendations appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  4. badinfluence63

5. badinfluence63

t1f.jpg t1g.jpg t1h.jpg t1i.jpg

1)seamans memorial in Gloucester,Mass 2)memorial plaque 3)one of 9 memorial name plates, thats alot of dead seaman 4)the names of the 6 seaman who died in the movie "The Perf3ct Storm"
  6. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice pics thanks. I take it that, that is you in those pics with the beard.
    Its nice to see someone else posting pics. But very cool pics.
  7. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

Nice pics...
  8. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

Thanks for the picturs of your part of this awesome contry we live in. Never been up there ,would love to some day. Not sure if I've got anymore Long trips left in me,ya can't get to much further away from western oregon than their,looks like some fine riding contry.
  9. badinfluence63

If you take your time and eat healthy and maintain some form of exercise you'll be fine...how old are you? I know a rider who is 69 and travels up and down the east coast on his bike at the drop of a hat.

New England...hmmm depends where you live. Alot of it is expensive,crowded and ya have to ride through mucho congestion to get to the rest of the country. And our winters suck and are expensive and agrivating. But we do have out nautical and seamans whaling heritage as does Oregon/Washington. I imagine our 2 areas are very similar.

Well if you ever do get a wild hair and decide to head this way shoot me a PM and you can consider my home a safe zone. A place where you can chillax and not worry. Those are great to have when on the road.
  10. Maddog110

Maddog110 Active Member

I think that's the key,health and take yer time,got lots of time and my health is pretty good. IAM 65 and am still riding about 15,000 a year. The days of those 700 mile days are gone,IAM not in that big of a hurry to get Anywhere anymore.ya never know,someday I may just do it. Same goes for me,if your ever out hear theres always room.
  11. badinfluence63

Thanks MD110 and 64 isn't old. The intertstates....no worries.

Heading to Alaska next June 20, 2014 but cutting up north at Helena,MT to Red Deer,AB. I have June 20th,2014 to July 24th,2014 to complete the ride. 5 weeks at 350-450 miles a day, no more.
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

BD you must work for the guberment to get that amount of time off. :)

It's really nice to see other parts of the country were people live. I to have never been to your part of the country but looks nice. Not so sure I would like the crowds guess I've gotten spoiled by living here in Oregon. Always wanted to take a trip to Alaska on the bike. Know another couple that did when they were in their late 60's. They said they had a great time and took a month to do it. I think your right 350 days is great. 700 mile days not for me anymore.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013