1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Price or Pride?

Discussion in 'The Polling place' started by kenfuzed, Jul 10, 2009.

?

Price or Pride, would you pay $1 more for American made carburetor jets?

1. Yes, I would pay an extra $1 for American made

47 vote(s)
    94.0%
  2. No I wouldn't, if it works for the factory it works for me

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Doesn't matter to me one way or the other

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

As many of you know I produce, sell, and distribute for others many parts for the CV Carburetor. Earlier this year I released my new Billet Choke Bracket and the V-Ductor. Now I am contemplating the production of a part that is far more common, carburetor jets.

Some people may not realize this but carburetor jets sold for our carburetors are not made in this country. This includes those sold by the factory. The majority of jets are sourced from Japan (where the CV carb originates) while others are coming out of China and India. While the quality of these jet parts have been good the fact remains that the jobs associated with them (manufacturing, material suppliers) are jobs that could be here at home in the US. The kits I sell have always included OEM jets from the same sources that all others obtain their jet parts from. This has remained the one outstanding part in my kits that are not US made.

So here is the point of my post and the poll. If you had the choice between an American made product and the factory original (or OEM) made overseas, would you pay an additional $1 more for the new US product?

Please cast your vote in this poll and then share with the rest of us what you think.
  2. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

For only a buck difference, I would go American Made. Where I have problems, is in cases where American Made is 50% more expensive and the quality is 50% less..... For something like a carb jet (even tho I run EFI), If I had 2 products that were essentially the same, only 1$ difference, and one made in USA, would probably go with that one
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

American made everytime we need the jobs in this country not overseas.

Attached Files:

4. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

When you start talking $1 more for a jet you are talking almost a 50% increase in price. However I wouldn't want the job of making those little rascals and feel it would still be worth it. I just want to know one thing Ken. Can you make them that a nutdrive will put them in and out rather than those shallow freakin' slots that are in them now? Some doofus over tightens on and they will strip trying to get them out now. Heck that would be work even another dollar to me LOL. Beyond that, I would be intersted simply because you are a member of this board and I would rather support family and friends than some fer-IN-er any day.
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I'd pay the $1.00 more for the jet, partly because who it is made by and the other part because it is American made. I've been out of work since last October 17, 2008, America needs to keep our dollars here so I and others can get a job.
  6. kenfuzed

Thanks for all the votes of support. Honestly it probably won't be as much as a $1 but I just threw that number out there. The costly part is tooling which puts me in the hole for at least the first year of production. Also maintaining the level of accuracy I expect with all my parts doesn't make this a cheap operation. With any luck I could get other shops and distributors around the country to change their ways.

wvak47 - I had the same idea but that could add up. We'll see.

The downside to all of this is that carburetors ceased production in 2006 and the demand will gradually taper off. But with all the carb'd bike out there if someone doesn't stick around to take care of them, who will?
  7. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I have a efi now but I do believe the carb will be around a good many years , & like AFN I would buy made in the USA But know it's not made with 100% pride only about 50% I try to keep my money here at home
  8. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

I find it hard even in accessories to by "North American" made (being from Canada) everything is made in China. Even your $30 t-shirt at the stealer is made way off-shore,I think alot of us givin the chance would spend a little more to keep our neighbor working!
  9. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

i'd pay 5.00 for quality then the other buck for USA
  10. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

agree with all the above.....
  11. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

As of 08 production everything is FI. However there are still a few of us diehards that says "Screw the EPA and their idiot green laws". I want my carb. I won't even look at a bike with too many wires around the intake now. Ticked off the salesman at the local stealer the other day over that. He was singing the praises of the FI and I told him he must be relying on his mechanics to work on his scooter, I would do my own and I don't like FI when I can fix a carb on the side of the road and carb bikes "sound" better. Sux being a dinosaur sometimes LOL.
  12. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

doing the right thing

Wherever possible I really try to shop local or at least North American. Like BluePearl I live north of the 49th and we are unindated with items from China. It is hard but one can find a north american item..it may be a bit more expensive but I'll willingly spend the money. We put hardwood in the house. It came from Quebec..not China, it was a fair bit more expensive..I never even considered going overseas for something that's made right here.
    Think Global Shop local
  13. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I did a home inspection today on a 5,000 Sq foot house that was 1.5 Mil that sits on the banks of the Willamette River. The people buying it are Chinese from China and work and live in China. The wife told me (speaking very good English) that China is the most industrialized country in the world and says its more capitalistic that the U. S. :rolleyes:. They bought this place as a Summer home to come to. Yea, the Chinese are definitely making to much money off us for sure.
  14. chucktx

sad huh????........
  15. kenfuzed

Well I got the ball rolling with the technical drawings. Still working on cost but these jets will likely retail (suggested retail) for a couple dollars cheaper than what the dealerships are asking. So while this American made jet might run you a buck more than what the aftermarket is selling import knock-offs for, it will still be less then what the factory is asking for their Japanese OEM jet.
  16. wvak47

wvak47 Active Member

Congrats Ken. Let us know when the first ones are ready and how much. Also you going to do any of those Ken Package deals for those of us that can't seem to leave our Carbs alone. I have a CV42 I am getting ready to start work on soon. Would be honored to put some of your first runs in it.
  17. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Congrats Ken. Let us know when the first ones are ready and how much.

I've been thinking of redoing my carb also. Have a new one in a box I'd like to tinker with.
  18. chucktx

sounds great ken!!!!
  19. kenfuzed

You know I'll hook you guys up! :D
    I have a whole line of parts for CV carbs and I would gladly extend a huge discount to everyone here who has been so supportive. I just don't like to use the forum as my own shameless plug.

It could take about a month before the tooling is done and the CNC programs are completed to make these. Once I get a first run you guys will be the first to know.
  20. chucktx

again, thanks for what you are doing here, and great wishes for your success in the new venture!!!!!!!