1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Primary Case noise

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by civilprocess, Jul 19, 2005.

1. civilprocess

civilprocess New Member

I have a 2005 Softail Deluxe with 2000 miles on it. It also has a hydraulic clutch. I changed the oil at 1000 miles and used Amsoil synthetic. I changed the primery and transmission oil at 1800 miles and also used Amsoil synthetic. I am now hearing a rattling noise when stopped and the clutch is engaged, the moment I disengage it the noise stops. Can anyone help? :confused:
  2. CD

CD Guest

Rattling noise? Have you checked the primary chain for correct slack?

Which Amsoil did you use?
  3. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Slapping

Yep, my money's on the primary chain slapping "something".

Have you adjusted your chain yet ?
  4. Seahag

Seahag New Member

Heres an idea for you......

I agree its likely primary chain tension. I'd go with a Hayden M-6 or the HB125 automatic primary chain adjusters and be done with it.

My father in law had the bolt from the adjuster vibrate out and get lodged between the clutch basket and inner primary cover. He got it shut down quickly and luckily it didn't cause any catastophic damage. That was with dealer services at the recommended intervals of 5000 miles....

After that we both switched to the M-6 tensioner and neither have had a problem since. For about $75.00 its cheap peace of mind in my opinion. CD may even have them cheaper...I wasn't so internet savvy with my shopping back then. :cool:
  5. CD

CD Guest

Even with the M6 or HB125 there is still some periodic adjustment and replacing the shoes. It is just WAAAYYY less often and they are so much quieter. I am becoming a fan of the HB125.
  6. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

M-6 it

Yes sir,,, I'm the owner of an "M-6". One of the best investments I've made.
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

It may be something simple.

I spent an afternoon taking my primary apart chasing a noise. I did not find anything wrong. Even my M-6 was in perfect shape after 30K+ miles.

What I did find, after I put it all together, was that my shift linkage was loose at the tranny. It should have fallen apart but instead it knocked against the inner side of the primary case. It actually wore a groove.

Just to let you know..

Tom
  8. CD

CD Guest

That is an all to common problem on the 5 speed tranny setup unfortunately and to boot you have to yank the inner primary off. Make sure you use the steel type and not a cheap pot metal one. Torque the #$#$ out of it and use loctite. I have even applied loctite to the splines in an effort to help retain it.
  9. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

Did you check the shift linkage to see if its loose and may be hittin the primary case ?
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Dude this thread is almost three years old LOL:roflmao:

However it does show how many times people post and ya never hear back if you helped them out...

Oh well....:rolleyes: