1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

"Profile-low" front springs

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 00 wildglide, May 26, 2010.

1. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

I just installed the H-D "profile-low front spring kit in my '07-FLHT.
    I test drove the bike for 2-hours & have come to the conclusion that the handling of the bike totally sucked.*I do have the "Profile-low' rear shocks as well.
    The bike feels like it must be leaned super hard in moderate turns(freeway exit ramps).The bike looked great at rest...
    I came home & tore the front end apart within a couple of hours.Waiting for some other parts & will reassemble back to stock.=(
    Anyone else have these on their Baggers & experience the poor handling?
    00 wildglide:cool:
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking about doing some thing like this, just to bring it down a bit for foot reach ,
  3. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I read a story about a guy that test drove a lowered Ultra, it handled great, but when he came back to pick it up from the guy it handled like crap, wobbled etc. Come to find out the guy who sold him the bike switched out the HD lowered rear shocks for the HD standard rear shocks just before he picked up the bike and didn't tell him, so the bike only had a lowered front end.

The lesson I took from this is that you can lower the back of a bike, such as I have for the last 12 years, and you wont get any bad handling affects, but if you lower the front only - then you will have problems. I think it has to do with the way you change the angle of the steering head.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Lowering the rear only doesn't hurt the handling big time
    it's the way the new RG and Street Glide come from the factory.

Lowering the front can hurt because now
    you've lowered a lot of the ground clearance out
    of the bike.

However it shouldn't be hard to lean into the turns.
    you just can't lean as far...
  5. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

I guess what I mean by "hard-to-lean"...The responsiveness just felt better with the stock springs/dampening rods installed.I'm very aware of all the Touring models having the same front end components.
    I'm now in the process of putting the front-end back to stock but,will leave the profile low rear shocks installed.
    Cowboy:
    The bike will have a good ride height with the profile-low rear shocks only & will resemble the stock height of the Streetglide + Roadking custom models.
    I'm sure glad I do my own work & didn't pay the shop to do this.Sometimes experimenting gets expensive...:banghead:
    00 wildglide:cool:
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Figured you understood the geometry of the FL's from the factory

I lowered the front and rear of my 98 RK for a better stance, it
    rode firmer and of course clearance was significantly reduced
    Got used to it but right turns were limited on lean angle due to
    lowering.

Friend of mine says stock is best, in that he's got over 120K on
    two different baggers I'd say he's pretty well versed.