1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Questions regarding Stage 1 kit for XL1200

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by bg3075, May 15, 2011.

1. bg3075

bg3075 Active Member

I have a 2005 XL1200R Sportster, with Rush aftermarket exhaust, and a K&N air filter (in the stock filter housing). Once adding the K&N air filter, I could tell there is a bit of hesitation when starting to roll on the throttle, and started causing quite a gas smell emination (especially on hot days).

I am looking at buying the CVP Stage 1 kit for the 04-06 XL 1200s. Though, I have a few questions. What is the "slow jet"? Is this the same thing as the "pilot jet"? And, based on the information given about my bike, above, and living at an altitude of 3500 ft above MSL, can someone inform me as to which jets I should choose to use from the kit? I believe the kits do contain a couple of different size jets to choose from, right?
  2. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Yes, the slow jet is the pilot jet. As far as to which jet you need to install it is best to find out what it is that you have in right now and go from there.
  3. bg3075

bg3075 Active Member

Thanks, Johnny. The bike is currently all stock, except for the changes that I stated above.

Looking at the instruction page for performance tuning, I think there is a typo in the first sentence of the second paragraph, "Preparing the carburetor for tuning will require removal from your Harley-Davidson's engine but this is easily accomplished." Surely, the engine removal is not required, right?
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. bg3075

bg3075 Active Member

This, taken from Dynojet's manual for 04-06 XL1200's:
    Leads me to believe, based on Dynojet's recommendation, that my situation would require a main jet of size 175. Are the jet's size marked in the CVP kit?

Regarding the size of jets, what is the normal occurrence when going to Stage 1, do the jet sizes usually increase in size, from stock, or decrease?

I have read numerous articles, stating that simply replacing the jet needle with that of the 1988 Sportster (see below), and adjusting the idle mixture screw will usually do what's needed. The following excerpt is taken from an article title "Performance and Efficiency" from American Rider magazine online:
    And from American Rider, "Fixing Jetting" article online:
    I have also attached two articles, explaining the same method.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

removing the carb from the engine is what it states,,,,,,very easy to do and will help in rebuilding the carb.......and takes just a few minutes, well worth the trouble......
  6. bg3075

bg3075 Active Member

Oh, you are right, Chuck. I am sorry for that...I misread it.
  7. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Ken here from CV Performance and I would be happy to answer your questions.

Regarding your initial questions, "slow jet" and "pilot jet" are the same thing. Jetting in each kit is specific to the model selected. Also the CV carburetor is excellent at self adjusting for various altitudes so jetting would be identical for your 3500 feet as it would be down to sea level. I've ridden for years going from sea level to 4500 without any problems.

I see alot of information from other articles that you've posted but not sure it is all relevant to this particular forum category (vendor support of CVP products). Some of the relates to Dynojet products and since they use proprietary parts and jetting that cannot be compared to OEM or other manufacturers I would caution using their jetting recommendations with parts from others including CV Performance. Without getting into every example, one such would be that a DJ170 main jet is entirely different than a original Harley (Keihin) #170 jet in size and flow characteristics. On the other hand CVP jets are designed to match the original specs and can be mixed and matched with Harley and OEM jets. That's not to say there is anything wrong with Dynojet products, I'm only saying that if using DJ parts you should not mix them with others as the results will vary greatly.

Regarding the article mentioning the use of the old 1988 XL needle, this was very common however that needle is discontinued and becoming difficult to locate. The article is quite old so it has probably not been updated. Similar articles back then also recommended drilling the slide with a 1/8" drill bit but that as well has since been debunked as a poor way of gaining performance.

Thanks for your interest and I welcome any questions you have as to installing the kit from CV Performance and improving the performance of your Harley.
  8. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Hey BR, just wanted to let you know that all questions are relevant, I was just trying to curb a recent swell of questions recently sent to me trying to compare products of all different makes. The results can often take people down a rabbit hole of uncertain tuning and frustration. Hopefully you didn't take my last reply as any sort of slam against your questions. I see you posted in the Motorcycle Tech forum and I will do my best to answer your questions and help figure out what you need to get running right.
  9. bg3075

bg3075 Active Member

Yes, I felt the other forum would be more appropriate, as my remaining question has changed a bit, as you may have noticed. Thanks for the help!