1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Quieter Exhaust & Performance?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by twoshawn, Feb 7, 2011.

1. twoshawn

twoshawn New Member

I'm the new guy on my block and my neighbors don't appreciate my Thunderheaders roaring to life at 7:30 a.m. My '86 Heritage Softail is my daily ride, so is there anything I can do to quiet it down while maintaining performance?
  2. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to bike talk, you must live were its warmer to ride to work all the time. bout the only thing I can tell you is change your exhaust. There are quieter exhaust out there that still give good performance.
  3. twoshawn

twoshawn New Member

"...you must live were its warmer to ride to work all the time."

Yeah, I live in Santa Barbara where it's pretty warm most of the year and I'm in an exceptionally quiet neighborhood. Additionally, being in a cul-de-sac I can effectively annoy my neighbors an ensure a quick "discussion" from my landlord. Do you have any brand/model suggestions or recommendations?

UPDATE - I've just been looking into the Peacemaker exhaust. Does anyone have information on these with regards to how well they work?
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  4. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

My bud installed a set for a guy here a couple of years ago...I seem to remember him saying later on he had problems with the solenoid(opening and closing), but I can't really remember....I'll ask if big Ike is still running them and what he thought about them, and let you know.
    You could google "peacemaker exhaust reviews" and see what comes up, but remember testimonials from the manufacturers website are nothing but infomercials.
  5. twoshawn

twoshawn New Member

Lucifer - "...I'll ask if big Ike is still running them and what he thought about them, and let you know."

Thank you! That would be great. I have been doing a little online research and discovered they don't make Peacemakers for my motorcycle yet. But the information may still be useful for later on, with a different bike. I'm a firm believer of never reading product reviews on a company's site, so I hear you there. I guess I'll just have to keep looking. Any recommendations?
  6. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Vance & Hines with quiet baffles,
    I installed quiet baffles in Big Shots Staggered, they made my bike much quieter and it seems to have a little more torque with still a nice rumble.
    There are a lot of bikes in my hood and there isn't much louder than a Thunderheader.
    At 7:30 they should be up anyway. JMO :D
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Supertrapp 2:1 Silent Series

Very good performance pipe and it's quiet so not only will you not
    wake the dead but you won't catch the eye of Johnny Law and his noise
    detection equipment LOL

These are one of the better performance pipes out there.

[​IMG]
  9. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Neighbors!!! We don't need no stinkin neighbors!
    2 into 1's have always been a good choice for "quieter power"
    Put a sign on the front lawn"Now accepting donations to buy quieter pipes" and until the can is full they can't complain!! :roflmao::roflmao:
  10. twoshawn

twoshawn New Member

Blue Pearl - I like that idea! I live in a neighborhood that could probably afford it, too.
    HarleysLR - Yeah, no one should sleep in past 7:30.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and the suggestions. I will do a little research and get back with a post about it. Not only am I a newbie to this site, but also to the Harley Davidson world, though I've been riding off and on for many years. The tone of the advice here has been far more accepting than that which I've received from other places. So, thanks. I'll be back with an update.
  11. chucktx

welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Talked to my bud....big Ike still has the Peace Pipes on...put them on for him about 3 yrs ago...he had to replace the cable twice and the solenoid once...says they are a little louder than stock when closed, but not too loud....At 7:30AM your neighbors should be up anyway;)
  13. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

If you've still got the stock pipes / mufflers laying around, an inexpensive way of getting good performance without a noisy exhaust is to drill the center plate out of the mufflers with a hole-saw. You'd think that turning the stock mufflers into a "straight thru" design would make them a lot louder but it doesn't & on my 2000 model Sportster, the sound level difference between stock & drilled-out stock mufflers is barely noticable. Until you get on the throttle hard & even then they're not as loud as with "Screamin' Eagle" slip-ons just cruising. The bike will "nose over" on the very top end with the drilled stockers as they still don't flow as well as the SE's, but for normal street/road riding, the power difference is negligible.
  14. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Where have you been Art - hibernating?

Good to hear from you, there's been a few posts I was waiting on an awswer from you.
  15. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

I was hospitalized last October, had to have major abdominal surgery, was on a feeding machine for over 2 months, lost 40 lbs., had a home healthcare nurse coming by @ least once/week, etc. But I'm doing much, much better now, don't have to have blood drawn for testing, etc. or go back to the hospital for out-patient treatments all the time & I've gained about 10 lbs. back. Looking @ the bright side, I can eat whatever I want & with exercise, put weight on where I want it & not where I don't!

The black Sportster is in the back of my van & when I gain some more strength back I'll run it over to the shop - I've planned to go "cafe racer" with it for ages & have most of the parts to do it. Should be healthy enough to ride it by the time I get the work done!
  16. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

wow that is major, glad you're doing better and glad your back to posting.
  17. BluePearl

BluePearl New Member

Good to hear Art - riding and put-zing around are the best medicine for any recovery! Remember your not sexy without a little bit of a belly!!
  18. chucktx

no kidding!!!!! i guess im a LOT sexy then!!!!:roflmao:
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

You are calling the bears out you do realize right???:gah:
  20. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

:gah::gah: