1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Reconditioning fork tubes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by James Nagy, Nov 24, 2015.

1. James Nagy

James Nagy Member

Hi There, im looking to recondition my fork tubes on my Harley, as time has gone by they have seemed to rust and pit. Where would you guys recommend to get this work done?
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

best way is to get a set of chrome lowers, easier to clean and maintain,
    however to fix up the old ones clean off all the clear coat, sand with wet/dry
    working from an 400 up to a 3000 grit, then polish, or find a local shop that
    does metal work and have them do all the work on a polishing wheel.

If you have a grinder, a good polishing wheel will make quick work of it.
    Lucifer and Marc1340 like this.
  3. olbill

olbill Active Member

You might try Franks Forks they are on internet they did a lot of chroming for me when i was playing with vintage bikes and his work is great!!
    OLbill
  4. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

are you talking the lower sliders or the upper steel/chrome tubes? as HRK said a little time and elbow effort and the lowers can look great, did the same on my scoot.
  5. olbill

olbill Active Member

The upper chrome part that go's thru the triple trees the lower part of the legs you can do yourself if you take the time you make them look like new.I think i read you post wrong.

olbill
  6. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

hmmm not to sure about rust?? the lowers are aluminum so no rust but the do pit and discolor a bit so maybe he is talking about the uppers? if it is lowers a lot of harley dealers do the swap chrome thingeeee. Just not to sure how much. I did mine a while ago and a friend did what HRK did to his, the came of great after the clear was applied they looked like factory new.
  7. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

I found a product at Home Depot called Flexible Vinyl Repair. It comes in a roll like 2.5 in. wide. I covered the front of my lowers with it. It's invisable. The bikes a year old now and the tubes look like the day I took the bike home. When they start to look ugly I'll replace it with fresh .
  8. James Nagy

James Nagy Member

Hi Chaps, thanks for your messages.

Im talking about the chrome sliders, they're not in a good state. Iv'e been searching through the internet and found a chap who specializes in Motorcycle Suspension, he comes with good recommendation too. The name is Brook Suspension http://www.brooksuspension.co.uk/services.html they offer the rechroming for £139 for the pair, cheapest I have found so far. Turn around is 2-3 weeks apparently, either that or they advised they can supply new tubes but Id rather re-chrome.
  9. Silent-Dutch

Silent-Dutch Active Member

Hi all I got brough this tread back up as I reconditioned the lower forks on my bike.The clear coat on them diss-coloured and it really looks bad.I used paint stipper and a small brass wire brush.When done wipe down with paint thinner and I used a scotch brite pad.I also removed the fender tire and caliper.It's hard to see in the pic's (using cell phone) but take a close look before and after.And whats a good polish I can use on them and my rims to keep them looking good.Hope this can helps someone later on fork#1.jpg fork #2.jpg thanks
  10. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member