1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Red's Mid-America Meander Meets

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Red Rider, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

As stated in the Colorado thread, I'm cruising through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, (possibly) Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, a Dakota (North or South TBD, or maybe both), (maybe) Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho before coming back home to NV. I'll be leaving on or about the 28th of July and expect to return to NV around the 9th of August.

Right now I'm expecting to be at or meet up for a drink/chow break on:

- 30 July AM - with HarleysLR (in the vicinity of Pueblo, CO)

- 30 July PM - MUST be in Eads, CO

- 2 AUG PM - Racine, WI

- 4 AUG PM (or possibly 5th) - with JohnnyBiker (near Montivideo, MN)

- ??? (YOUR NAME HERE)

Ultra200922, I will be in Southern WI during 2-4 Aug.

I expect to have some access to this website while riding, but I'd rather get as much coordination for meets done pre-trip as possible. Anyone that has tried to phone call someone on a bike knows that ain't happening, so pre-coord is pretty vital to getting meets done.

Anyone who meets with me will get a small momento of the occasion, and I'll buy the first drinks, be they ice teas or Long Island Ice Teas.

So, c'mon folks, don't leave me drinkin' with the flies! (some Down Under slang for ya)

:cheers:
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

OK RR I am responding to your new thread so that I get updates as things progress.
    For us meeting in Pueblo is good that makes it an easy ride for you to get to Eads on time. Maybe Hot01 can join us and there are a few others from around the area (couple hundred miles anyway). Count me in for sure, I'll find a spot in Pueblo and let you know, there's a lot places on Hwy50 or near it.
  3. Red Rider

Make the spot something CO unique, not a regular restaurant, coffee shop or bar chain. Someplace we'll remember!

4. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Red,

I will need to know for sure what day it will be cause Hot Rider will be joining us as well. I need to know so she takes vacation from her business for the day. Depending on which way you are coming into Minnesota depends on where we meet. If you are coming in from the east, then I think my dealership would be a good place to meet. Ect.

Thoughts??
  5. Red Rider

I'd be coming from the East. What is your "No Later Than" date for the head's up for HR and you? I expect my arrival is on the 4th, in the afternoon. I'd adjust the time for ya, if ya need - AKA, ride faster or slower). Semper Gumby! ("Always Flexible", in mil/US Marine lingo).
  6. JohnnyBiker

I would have to say soon like in the next week or so, so she can give her clients ample notice, but I will double check with her. The 4th would be awesome because then she could take both the 4th and the 5th off and then we could possibly ride further with ya too. :cool:
  7. Red Rider

JB - I think ya'll should just plan on taking the 4th & 5th of Aug off for riding, regardless of my being there. I do fully intend to be there, and most probably on the 4th, but that is well over 2,500 miles into my wandering and stuff can happen.
  8. JohnnyBiker

Ok that is cool with me, I haven't had a chance to run this past her but I don't foresee this being a problem.
  9. Red Rider

Stugis Stop

Looks like my trip will bring me through Sturgis at the start of the Rally. Anyone gonna be there around the 5th or 6th?
  10. JohnnyBiker

I think we are a go. :D I guess all I need is at about what time you will be heading into MN and then I will meet you at Wild Prairie HD. :D We have a little while to figure out logistics though.
  11. alex the dog

alex the dog Active Member

Count me in too Red Rider. I can meet with you and HarleysLR anywhere, but be advised: Pueblo will be hotter than hell itself. Depending on which route you're coming on, I'm sure we can find a nice place that won't be 110 in the shade.

If I-25 is the route, Manitou Springs (5 miles west of Colorado Springs) is a great spot for refreshments. If Hwy 50, how about Salida or Canon City? Let us know your route and aprox. date, and we will find someplace cool.

Skyline Drive in Canon City..........Ute Pass west of Manitou

Attached Files:

12. Red Rider

I'm coming in to Pueblo via HWY 50 on the evening of the 29th of July. HarleysLR and I were gonna link up the next morning, where was TBD. If we got together that night, I'd be fine with that, too.

I'm not the slightest worried about heat - its not like I'm marching there with a full pack and Kevlar in 125+ degrees. Have camelback, will travel.

13. alex the dog

Hwy 50 goes right through Salida and Canon City on your way to Pueblo. Both are easy rides for me and HarleysLR. I know a couple nice bars in Salida, and HarleysLR may know of a good one in Canon City.

We could meet in Salida, then ride through Big Horn Canyon and Skyline Drive to Canon City for an adult beverage or two (you want to be fully sober going through Big Horn Canyon). Then, we could ride east on Hwy 50 toward Pueblo, where HarleysLR and me would split off at Hwy 115 to go home.

It's not that I don't like Pueblo, it's just that I can't take that kind of heat. It WILL feel just like Iraq while wearing a full pack!
  14. Red Rider

If we do this, it would need to be on the evening of the 29th. Then I'd just end up staying the night in Canon City and having a full share of the adult beverages - but not so much that I'd be late for my next day's events.

HarleysLR - this work for you?

All we'd need now is a rally point in Salida, and an ETA. Restaurant / B&G or bike shop?
  15. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

I work on Friday's and don't get off untill around 6:00 pm. If ya meet Alex on Friday in Salida I could still meet ya in Pueblo on your way to Eads Saturday before noon anytime.
  16. Red Rider

Yeah, we can do that. Riding alone, I have great flexibility.

Alex, ya need to set the rally point. Give me a time and place, early enough for us to hit Canon City (aka Prison City) no later than 9PM local (I'm changing time zones). We'll have a good cruise through the canyon.

HarleysLR - give me a rally point, too, for the 30th. Would be way cool to meet you both during this run.

Abby - ya out there? Are ya gonna be at Sturgis, or even within 250 miles, on my return leg?

Dang, I wish I were riding now. Been nursing my post-surgical son since the 22nd of June. He's doing great and will be fine with my wife, his Mom, now. Otherwise I'd already be on the road......but when a kid needs ya, you gotta be there.

17. alex the dog

Sorry to hear you can't make it Friday afternoon, HarleysLR. I'm sure you've been through that canyon before, but oh what a glorious sound a bunch of Harleys makes going through it. If you can get "sick" that Friday, I'm buyin'. Hot01, are you available?

Coming into Salida from Hwy 50 on the west side, you go right past the big Wal-Mart (can't miss it). I'll meet you in the parking lot by the Hwy and we can go from there where we can get a bite and a brew. Just let me know a day or so before @ aprox. what time. It'll be good to trade stories with another old war-horse.

Attached Files:

18. Red Rider

OK, that is a plan! Well, still need a time, but I figure that will be noonish or later. We'll get the time set at least 24hrs in advance. I'll pass my cell via PM before I set out and know for sure which phone I'm using.

Yep, it is always good to swap stories on the road. I'll tell ya some I can, if your ears don't get too tired. I'll be honored to hear yours, too. Ya might want a back up plan in Canon City in case the sharing goes too long, though. And don't keep me from making the rally point with HarleysLR!

19. alex the dog

No problem. Pueblo is only 1/2 hour easy ride from Canon City. I know of a great Mexican restaurant in Canon with cold cervezas and margueritas. Trying to get a response from Hot01, but haven't heard yet.

Attached Files:

20. Hot01

Hot01 Active Member

Thanks to Alex the Dog for getting my attention.:)

If I weren't taking the first two weeks of August off, I'd be in Salida or Canon City on that date in a heartbeat. As it is, I have to be in a parking lot in Greeley at 6:45 on the 30th to teach a class. Too bad it wasn't a day or two earlier.

However, I will be at Sturgis. Not only will I be there, but it's turning into a pretty big event for me. I'm working with the Buffalo Chip on some design work for their new Biker Belles ride, and I might end up being a "dignitary" (famous biker chick) on the ride, along with Laura Klock and some others. :roflmao: But seriously, this could be really big. Regardless, I'll be there, or I'll ride up to meet you. Just tell me when you'll be there.