1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Riding With Dad

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by JohnnyBiker, Jul 27, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Now that my dad has his bike, yesterday him, Hot Rider and I went out on a really nice ride. Hot Rider rrode two up with me as my Sportster is still on the mend. (But it is closer to being done). All in all, we put on just under 200 miles. We went to a place called Duffy's in a town called Montevideo MN which is usually only a 70 mile ride from me but there is construction along that way so we took a more scenic rout. The rout that we took led us on a great combination of twisties around some lakes, mild sweepers and of course some straight roads. I think a great combination for a newbie rider. We didn't leave Hutchinson MN until 6 and we got to our eating place just before 8. Duffy's is a pretty popular place for bikes and the food there isn't anything real special but for it what it is, they do a really good job.

On the way back we decided that we were going to follow highway 212 east and that took us to Granite Falls and there we stopped for fuel. (Was able to get 91 no ethonal gas.) By this time it was dark out so dad, being that this is his first time riding at night, had me lead. Just as we coming out of Granite, sure enough, we came across two deer. No issues so we pressed on. We finally came to Stewart and I stopped at Derek's shop to ask dad if he wanted me to ride with him all the way home since it was night time and said no so that is where we split up. I asked dad to give me a call so I knew that all was OK. All was OK.

This is really the first time that I rode with my dad because when he was first starting, he looked really nervous when I was riding with him so I said to him that I thought it to be better that he rides without me until he got his endorsement. I figured that would relax him so he could concentrate on learning the bike and skills for safe riding. He didn't argue.

My dad has his bike for 1 week now and I must say that I do think that he bought the right bike. I watch periodically behind me and I can say that him and that Heritage Softtail were mad for each other. He is comfortable, has plenty of power and he handles it really really well. A great bike and a proud son to boot!
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Good to hear all is going well, deer can make a mess of a bike pretty quick. Guy up here had a deer jump out of the ditch into the side of his Goldwing while riding along a country road about 30 miles away. He and his wife are ok, except for scrapes, but the Goldwing looks pretty nasty.
  3. JohnnyBiker

Deer suck that is for sure. My dad got himself a really nice ride.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Glad to hear your getting in some riding time with your dad. Cherish every moment of it.
  5. charlie46

charlie46 Well-Known Member

good for you. making great memories. My Dad rode as a young man, but never had the chance to ride together although my first bike(a Honda CB 450) was delivered to our house while I was at work and HE took it out for a spin before I got home. Ha Ha! He liked it.
  6. JohnnyBiker

It is fun that is for sure. Funny thing is that just after we parted, I lost my clutch cable at the lever. I had to power shift all the way home. Lol
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Great to hear you guys are riding together.