1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Rosey died with a red light

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hogdog, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Help Help FXDWG died in the intersection with a red idiot light. This idiot dosen't know what the light means. On the 1996 FXDWG the red light is on the right side of the row of lights. She died without a whimper just bam and she is dead.

Help would be appreciated, after all this is lookout for your local idiot day!!!
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Oil light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  3. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Just the thought of her dying because of an oil problem sends me to the bottle, and i dont mean oil. The green light (I think it means the ignition is on) would not come on. With the ignition lever in the on position the green light was out! Something very strange here!
  4. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

The red light is a non starter. Failure is in the ignition Circuit somewhere. She cranks, lights on but the ignition light does not come on. Any clues where in this circuit the failure might be?
  5. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Are your connections tight and corrosion free? Start with the easy stuff to check first.
  6. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Check the main breaker! Pull the connector for the ignition switch also make sure you have batt constant power there there will be a series of red wires going to to switch one of them is hot all the time take a jumper wire and feed the other two bike should start and run . If it does you need an ignition switch. Red light comes on when bike dies because there is no oil pressure present . Goes out when motor starts .it is a normally closed switch to ground as oil pressure becomes present switch goes open light goes out.
  7. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Switch is ok, voltage is ok, battery is ok, all breakers are ok. Forward of the breakers is a gray thingy box, is that the ignition module? What next Kemo Sabie.
  8. baggerpaul

So you have 12 volts going in and while cranking you still have 12 volts going out .and please don't tell me ya my test light lights up !because 5 volts will turn a test light on .12 volts in and out with a meter and holding it while cranking!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
  9. hotroadking

Suck Bank Blow, ie fuel, compression and spark.

1) does it have gas.....
    2) do the electronics work
    3) do you have a multi meter.

Green light - do you mean N Light

[​IMG]

What is the voltage you have at the battery,

Is the ground wire solid at the battery and frame.

Do you have headlight, tail light, turn signals, dash lights, horn

If you have power to the electric system, what happens when you press
    the start button, pull the starter engage wire (white connector green wire) from the top of the starter, put a meter on it, turn on ignition, press start button, do you get any voltage. What is the voltage

If you have NO power to anything, check all battery connections, fuses and the main circuit breaker, they are a known problem, if they fail no power anywhere, no lights, no start, no horn, no TS, nothing.

If you check the battery and have power, and you have power at the starter (check pos battery terminal on the top of the starter with meter grounded to frame, check fuses, both sides inspect fuses, and when you turn key nothing, then perhaps ignition switch.

If it has gas, AND that gas is getting to the carb, and when you press the start button nothing turns over, start working back through the electronics, get a shop manual from the dealer, best $50 or so you'll ever spend, details where stuff is how to test, how to install, etc.

Now if you have gas, the carb is getting gas, the starter is turning check the coil, there is a test in the book, or pull a plug and crank it over with the plug grounded on the head, see if it sparks, check both,

Could be bad coil, could be shot ignition box, most likely a coil or a breaker/ fuse.
  10. baggerpaul

Like the perfect wife suck squeeze bang blow.4 cycles babby

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
  11. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Thanks Baggerpaul and Hotroadking (I appreciate the time you took in writing your suggestions) for your help. The bike cranks, lights and honks like always, the ignition system is just gone, no green light, wont start, voltage at the ignition switch is 12v and the battery is fully charged. I have shop manuals for the other bikes guess the time has come to get one for the WG. I really suspect the ignition module but have no clue where it is located?? I mean what can be involved, a couple switches, cables, ignition module, coil and spark plugs.
  12. hotroadking

Do you know someone with the same bike then you could swap test

Only issue is if you bike has s problem that killed your ignition it could fry your friends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Last time I had problem with this bike I tried that, now I have no friends,lol
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Did you check at the spark plugs for spark or wet with gas??Take one out and check for spark,if you have spark squirt some fuel into the carb to see if it'll start.
    I'm thinking it could be the vacuum operated petcock is your problem, after cranking the bike over,were the plugs wet or dry??
  15. kickstand68

kickstand68 Active Member

What happened with your bike hotdog? Did you get it fixed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk