1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

S.I.P.D.E In The Real World

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Soupy, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Soupy

Soupy Member

Years ago, one of the best pieces of advice I received in the BRC (Basic Rider's Course) was the use of S.I.P.D.E.
    on the ride.

S - Scan (look around you; be aware)
    I - Identify (recognize potential issues)
    P - Predict (consider which issues could be a problem for you)
    D - Decide (choose an action to move you away from that potential issue)
    E - Execute (make the move away from the issue BEFORE it happens)

My life was spared one day in Massachusetts, while riding on the Mass Pike, because I actively went thru each of these steps, (out of boredom, if for no other reason). I had just been up to the family cottage in New Hampshire, (Alton Bay) and was on my way home to CT.

I was riding in the middle lane, in a 3-lane section of the Pike, doing the speed limit (truly), when I was passed by a van in the "hammer lane" that was all beat up and had bald tires.

As I considered this van, my mind said, "look at those crappy bald tires on that thing; if one of those blew on the right side, it would likely fly right into me!!"

So I decided to reduce my speed, and move to the right side of the middle lane. Just seconds after I made that decision and acted on it, by moving myself, the right rear tire of the van blew, and a huge chunk of the tire whizzed past my head, right where I WOULD have been, had I not moved over and backed off a tad.

Every day as riders, we do our best to keep ourselves in check; to ride defensively and properly. We can't control the others around us of course, but we CAN be practicing S.I.P.D.E. and reducing the risk of the dangers out there, by being fully aware, and making choices even before something happens, that positions us in a better place, reducing our chances of being hurt or killed.

It worked for ME..........

-Soupy
    Marc1340 likes this.
  2. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I remember that too...I take the MSF advanced riders course every few years just to stay on top of things...Your never to old to learn something new...
  3. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Good idea to take that course every couple years don't matter how good you think you are as a rider you'll always learn something.
  4. Soupy

Soupy Member

I haven't taken any follow up courses, and I wouldn't fault anyone who did. However, the "road" is a great teacher!!

-Soupy
  5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

As long as it's not the big hard lesson. No recovery from that.
  6. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Best course many won't want to spend the cash on and that is what used to be the "Keith Code Super Bike School". I think someone else now teaches it. I took it at the Loudon Race Track (aka: New Hampshire Speedway). Excellent !!!
    Sleepy likes this.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

If you can't get to class order the Ride Like a Pro video

Very good,
  8. Soupy

Soupy Member

I'll look it up. Always a good idea to learn before you burn!!

-Soupy
  9. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

10. Soupy

Soupy Member

"Thank" HotRoadKing. I looked it up yesterday and saw the same price. One of the neat things about YouTube, is how often a good chunk of a movie or video is found there.

The value would be to actually TAKE an Advanced Rider's Course, and I'll be looking at that possibility.

-Soupy