1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Samson slip on part # ?

Discussion in 'CV Performance' started by machinehed, Dec 2, 2011.

1. machinehed

machinehed New Member

Newby here ., Hi to all.
    Just purchased a 1990 FLH police and a pair of used Samson slip ons.
    The only number i can find on the Samsons is stamped into the mounting boss and reads MHD 301 .
    I cant find this # on the Samson site and am wondering why ?
    Apparently these slipons where off a 91 big twin.
    Am looking for info. to identify these mufflers to rejet the cv carb. if needed.?
    Bike is bone stock , runs good , with approx. 70000 miles on the clock.
    Any help here is appreciated.
  2. fxdxriderleo

fxdxriderleo Active Member

On muffler swaps, let the bike tell you what it needs.
    Ride it look at plugs. That will tell you a lot.
    Leo
  3. machinehed

machinehed New Member

Thanks Leo ., am now considering a top end rebuild over the winter .
    Head shave to bring up compression ,valve job , cylinder hone/bore , rings , cam brgs., mild cam. etc.
    New to Harleys , am told that 70000 miles is time to do all this .?
  4. fxdxriderleo

90 had the Evo didn't it Yes, top end fresh up often gets done around 50,000. 70,000 is a good run.
    Leo
  5. machinehed

machinehed New Member

Thanks Leo .
    Spoke to a local HD rebuild guy whom im told is the go to guy here .
    Will do a comp. test and see were im at .
    How do you like that big sucker ?
    Does it incorporate the new swirle venturie that CV performance is selling now.?
  6. fxdxriderleo

I bought the big sucker for the backing plae as much asanthing. I have a short inseam. With the highway pegs I can hardly reach them with the stock air box, The big sucker with the thick straight big filter was about the same, with the smaller tper Velo filter it was a bit better. A friend had a filter housing that fit the old tlitson carb. JUst a backing plate, a foam filter wrapped around the chicken wire form with the cover.
    I swapped him the big smooth cast cover of the Big Sucker for the old stly cleaner. Used the filter out of the old. Cut up the way to big filter and built short bolts to hold the part where the center screw holds the cover on. Now with the narrower filter anc thinner cover I can reach the foot peg.
    I do have the V-ductor in there. It does help the bike run a bit smoother. With the smaller filter I don't get as much effect as if I ran one of the bigger filters. I think it works best with the larger filters that allow much more airflow.
    Kinda like sticking it in the stock air box, helps but not as much as with the bigger filters.
    Leo
  7. machinehed

machinehed New Member

Ya ., thinking about that " V Ductor " ... seems like a good idea .?
    A " velocity stack " like that cant hurt on a Y type intake used on the Harleys.