1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

seat exchange from sprung to unsprung . . .

Discussion in 'Projects' started by joshbob, Aug 31, 2016.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

001 (640x480).jpg 002 (640x480).jpg I've been riding the Velocipede sprung seat five years now and decided to change to the "Shootout" seat made by Ultima, which is nearly the same as Le Pera's "Bare Bones" seat. During the process I neglected to take pictures and so have only images of the finished project.

How to mount the new seat was easy to figure out. There was a 5/16" threaded hole on the upper back of the seat and I installed a bolt and cut the head off and cleaned up the threads. Then I very carefully measured where the hole in the fender went and drilled it through. It took two tries to get it right. I wanted the seat to set right on the frame and against the fender. I cut a chunk of Walnut and fashioned a rounded wedge shape to match the front gusset of the frame and Gorilla-glued and screwed it to the bottom of the fiberglass seat pan. Also had to cut and grind off the front bracket and spring bungs. A little bondo and paint, especially the area between the seat and gas tank, and it looks like it's always been there.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Looks slick Josh!
  3. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Lookin good! My back wouldn't stand for a hardtail!
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice job looks very good...
  5. joshbob

Thanks, boys. After several hundred miles on the ol' thang with the new seat, I know I made the right choice. Yes, I can feel the road a bit more, but that's fine with me. I don't care about comfort or convenience. Give me the shake, rattle and roll; the sweet smell of gas and oil and loud, rumbling pipes of an American motorcycle. If I want to be comfortable, I park myself in front of the TV with my favorite food and libation.
  6. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Looks great, especially the fill job you did there. Probably reduced your center of gravity some as well.
  7. joshbob

I believe it did - I'm sitting over 2" lower to the ground.