1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

$$$$sense or nonsense?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by knucklehead, Sep 16, 2006.

1. knucklehead

knucklehead New Member

I read an article the other day which annoyed and begged a question. Should you spend six thousand to upgrade a 95ci. motor or would it be less expensive to swapout a new one? Granted, the 95 goes up to 120hp, but how much more will you get or spend on a new switcheroo? I read this article in a most recent HOT BIKE issue for your referance. P. S. This most computer illiterate surprised to be one of most active on this site. Also am very blissed and blessed riding my 07 softail standard.:D
  2. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Well I think it all depends on how fat your wallet is. If you got the big bucks to spend, then why not? If your on a budget, like most folks (some more than others) then you have to wait and pick and choose your motorized enhancements. Heck, I’m still trying to save the money for lyndall brake-pads… :eek:
    My .02
  3. CD

CD Guest

If i was looking at 6k, I would look harder at a Jim's or a 103". There will never be a replacement for displacement.

You would be $$$ ahead and have money to put into more performance gains.
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Shop wisely and you can buy parts to build a 95 with headwork under $2K

Cams $250
    Carb or Power commander $300
    Heads worked $400
    Pistons $250
    Gaskets $50
    Misc stuff Oil etc $50
    Bore Cyl to match Pistons $150

Labor if you can wrench $Free
    Labor if you have buddie that can wrench $40 in beer and chicken wings

That's about $1400 and you can have a 100/100 motor.

Why $6K
    Of course these are TC prices.

For $6K I'd have a 124 S&S crate motor shipped or if evo a 127 El Bruto.
  5. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Well.......right now I run a stock TC88 with Keihen CV/Thunderjet and SE air cleaner. No cam mods, no extra cubes. I break 100 every now and then...a long, lonely way between towns in NV sometimes....but no longer feel the need for 130+...besides, even jackrabbits kill at 100+. I'm like any other red-blooded American male - I've drooled over MORE POWER more times than I can recall - but I just don't think I need it enough. Nowadays I'm more likely to buy my ride chrome than speed. Plus my Jeep (aka: Just Empty Every Pocket) eats my spare green....oh well.
    Back to me rum.........("Sailor Jerry" brand, new to me but gooooooooooood)
  6. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

Like johnny cash 1 piece at a time until you have all the majors for boring yer 88 then most likly have more hp than the 96 and teasing the 103, and if it takes you a while to aquire the goods you will need the overhaul anyway and you won,t fill it in the pocket and time it for a winter project and you,ll be able to stay away from the shine easier.