1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

SERT installed with canned map

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by araynor, Jun 19, 2007.

1. araynor

araynor New Member

Last week i had my 06 softail in for a dyno the machine was broken so they installed a canned map i still get a lot of decel popping but my ride runs a lot better the dealer told me the popping will cause no damage is this a fact your comments please.

Art.
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Dealers often install maps based on known combinations without checking against a dyno. I wouldn't worry to omuch as long as you aren't running lean at idle, midrange, and WOT. I would keep an eye on the plugs to make sure they keep a nice tan appearance (start with fresh plugs).

It all depends how bad the decel popping is but I don't think mild popping will cause any damage. The decel popping itself isn't all that damaging, its the associated causes and conditions that may lead to other problems. One way to help reduce popping is to install a set of AR cones between the head pipes and heads. This can sometimes cut back on the reversion which worsens the popping. Also double check your whole exhaust system for leaks. Cool air drawn back into the system will increase this condition. With the exhaust cool, spray soapy water onto the various connecting points while at idle. If you see any bubbling (not to be confused with sizzling on hot pipes) you have a leak.

Personally I've learned to live with mild decel popping or crackling. It can be a fact of life if you run aftermarket pipes such as duals that don't have a cross-over or regular baffles.
  3. araynor

araynor New Member

Thanks for the quick reply i will do the soap test it pops a quite a bit that really doesn't bother me as long as it's not hurting my engine i should have said what i did i installed vance and hines longshots and a ness big sucker had or should i say wasted $150.00 on a harley down load that didn't work she was running really lean i'll pull my plugs on the weekend as i will have about 1000 miles since the canned map was installed then i'll take it from there thanks again...
  4. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

same problem

I can't help wonder if de-cel popping could cause problems with intake gaskets blowing?

can AR cones be used with twin cams 1450? if so were can they be found?
  5. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you can still use them with Twin Cams even though their smaller exhaust port is supposed to act as an anti-reversion barrier. Depending on the pipes, you may need to grind down the flange edges of the cones for a better fit. There are a few brands out there but they are all pretty much the same. Some call them AR cones, Torque cones, or Power Cones.
    I've seen them at many local dealer, J&P, and even found this pair on ebay.
    They may be listed for Evo but they'll fit a TC88/95 also.
  6. skull2007

skull2007 Active Member

have you ever heard that they make your heads runs hoter:confused: