1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Setting Idle with EZ

Discussion in 'EZ-Just Idle Mixture Screw' started by spadesluck, May 13, 2009.

1. spadesluck

spadesluck New Member

Installed the Stage 1 kit and EZ adjust. The bike would not idle at all unless I stayed in the throttle, then I had to adjust the ez adjust out almost all the way before it would idle around 500rpms (which it just barley does). Do I need to go up on the pilot? This is on an 91 883 with intake and exhast. I beleive I have a 44 on there now. Thanks
  2. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

Based on your description there are several things you should check. The pilot jet size alone would not cause a severe idle problem.

1. Vacuum leak, check your vacuum lines and boot fit to the manifold.
    2. Debris in passages. Check that debris was not introduced into the passage where the pilot jet was installed.
    3. Pinched or damaged slide diaphragm.
    4. Needle Jet (steel nozzle that needle slides into) is installed.
    5. Float tab, make sure the float was not pressed in causing float to prevent fuel delivery.
    Also you didn't mention, but did you adjust the idle screw (not the mixture screw) in, and if so approx how far?
  3. spadesluck

spadesluck New Member

I never messed with the idle screw itself. I had just left that alone. Was I supposed to mess with that one? I am sure there are no vacuum leaks as everything else performs as it should but I will look into it more just to make sure. I am in the process of replacing my fuel inlet valve and float with newer ones. I am going to wait to get it running until those are replaced.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The first thing you will want to do is set that idle speed screw. Since it is integrated into the cable bracket and the adjustment could be thrown off when removing/installing on the top cover there is the likelihood of the idle needing adjusting. Set your idle before adjusting anything else, especially the mixture. Otherwise you will end up chasing your tail trying to get the mixture correct.
  5. spadesluck

spadesluck New Member

I will do that for sure. Thanks for the heads up. I will report back once all the parts are in.
  6. Buckmc

Buckmc New Member

Carb Adjust

Hey Bro,Just a few quick thing's to know bout adjustment of CV Carb. 1,clean,and gap your spark plug's,before you begin.2,engine must be at operating temp,run your bike get it good and warm.Screw your thumb screw inward,until your engine begin's to run rough.That will be your lean side,then screw it out(richen) it till it does the samething.Your best setting will be between thos 2 postion's.