1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shovel top end . . .

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by joshbob, Oct 16, 2012.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Well, boys, I found a shop in Richmond that will do my heads for $250. Is that a good price?

The fella that sold me the motor said he would pay for half of it - so, $125 + shipping one way. Heads will have a 6 month warranty.

If I want extra work, like porting, polishing, etc., it's more. But I don't think I would need the extras, as the motor should run just fine with new guides & seals.
  2. Sechott

Sechott Active Member

Sounds like a decent price 125 per head and you only have to pay for one. I would consider P@P but I am the performance minded guy. If I had the decision and didn't get it done, I would always be curious on what "little" power I'm missing out on. I think it would be hard to beat 125 even if you did the work yourself. Good luck.
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Do you know this guys rep?? Compare costs of shipping to him and to Kirby and check Kirby's prices compared to the other fella.... Peace of mind is worth a few extra bux to me....and you know with VeeTwin Racing you're getting one of the best....JMHO:D
  4. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Josh I would see about the shop's rep ask around , like lucifer said , but living on a budget I would be inviting the $125 with a smile
  5. Lucifer

Yeah,Did Tattoo ever hear of this guy?? or was it the guy that sold you your engine recommend him?? if the latter,I'd think about it a little...
  6. joshbob

Well, the guy who sold me the motor originally had a different machine shop doing his work then. And, no, Tattoo doesn't know who it is. Tattoo says he will help me do my heads if I bring them to his shop, but I know that he farms some operations of the head work out.

I think I will PM Prodrag and see what he can do for me before I jump at this carrot dangling in front of me. The reason the guy wants to split the cost is because the head was smoking almost from the beginning. I thought that was a decent gesture on his part as the warranty has been up on the motor for some time.
  7. Lucifer

Good Idea...:) It was a good gesture,maybe he'll still help you out a bit if you want to use prodrag...
  8. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Been to Kirby's know two guys with his work, both are happy
    neither leak or smoke, and the one was a frigging nightmare head...
  9. joshbob

Haven't heard from Prodrag yet, but the guy who sold me the motor says the shop he uses now is "Pure Evil Performance" near Mechanicsville, Virginia. I have checked them out (online) and found them to be a reputable company that does all sorts of motor work.
  10. prodrag1320

prodrag1320 Active Member

the 250.00 isnt a bad price depending on whats getting done to them.dont bother with any porting.look at what parts are being used & what seat & guide methods & equipment are being used,we use a SERDI 100 & AV&V parts,nothing better
  11. joshbob

Thanks for the advice, Prodrag. I feel out of my depth asking a machine shop what equipment, methods and materials they use as I know next to nothing about any of it. In matters like this, I take what I'm told at face value.

I will ask if I can expect new valves, guides & seals and that's about it. A guy like me who is on a tight budget has to take the best deal and hope it works out for the best. I still have faith that there are people out there (like yourself) who do good work and stand behind it. So, I think I will try "Pure Evil Performance" and see.

If things go south, you & the rest of the forum will be the first to know. Thanks again for your advice and taking the time to answer my questions.:)
  12. joshbob

Well, since my motor is apart, I'm going to go ahead and take the heads off, too, and send 'em out to Pure Evil Performance. They will replace valves, seats, guides & seals.

While I have the heads off, Tattoo and I will check out the barrels, pistons, wrist pins and rings next week. Might as well . . . only have to remove 8 more nuts.
  13. joshbob

Heads coming off as soon as I finish breakfast - should be able to get them off easily before work. Also going to replace all the seals related to the pushrods and the ones inside the tubes, new exhaust gaskets (Evo style) and take the opportunity to polish the pipes again.

I've been running rich since I changed to a 48 pilot. Both plugs were sooty.
  14. Tommyc

Tommyc Active Member

If you take the jugs off, get new rings and hone the jugs.
  15. joshbob

We are going to inspect them and see . . . rings & jugs only have 4500 miles on them.
  16. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

thats what I would do , with only 4500 miles still like new :D
  17. joshbob

Gonna wait untill the hurricane is father north before I send the heads out, maybe a few more days. Today I'm going to see Tattoo about the rest of the stuff. I'm pretty sure we're gonna have to replace the cam, inner bearing, bushing and of course the seal.

It is becoming increasingly evident that the guy who "rebuilt" my motor didn't do very much to it. At least I hope we find that he put in new pistons and rings and honed the barrels. But I'm not holding my breath . . .
  18. Lucifer

I wouldn't be holding my breath either...I'd be holding his throat:rant:very tightly:devil:

A "rebuild engine isn't supposed to mean "slapped together with old worn parts":fight:
  19. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Man Josh I sure do hope that this saga ends soon for you. You have had a lot of issues with this motor and you deserve some good solid and sustained saddle time. Keep your chin up Josh. :D
  20. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think ya oughta take the thing back to the guy
    and get yer money back... JMO...

I'd take a sack o' doorknobs with me just in case...

[​IMG]