1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Shovel update . . .

Discussion in 'Projects' started by joshbob, Apr 5, 2011.

1. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

After several months being out of the loop it's good to be back, my friends! Since then, I've gotten a 4-speed tranny and primary for my scooter. Motor is a '77 shovel; the other stuff somewhere in that era. I got the tranny supposedly rebuilt but the the kicker shaft is a bit wobbly. Maybe they didn't replace the bushings, I don't know. If so, I'm beginning to wonder about the rest of the tranny. Anyway, the primary came with several pieces missing which I am in the proccess of ordering. Clutch plates look new. I have found a local guy who has a flatside shovel who is going to help me assemble everything. He charges $60 an hour. It is going to be expensive. Maybe I'll just do it myself; it seems pretty straightforward, but not sure what the torque should be on the compensating sprocket nut. Manual says anything from 170 ('72 & earlier) to 400 for later years. I don't know the year.
    I may have to replace my oil tank as it is too deep to accomodate the primary covers. I'm going to try and raise it up a bit higher. I've already ground off the tab on the side which was the main impediment. We'll see.
    I'll post some pics of my project so far.
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

sounds like a nice build!!!!! pics are a must!!!! lol
  3. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

For a running commentary and pics go to BLOOD, SWEAT, TEARS & BEERS on the Pull Up a Chair and Sit a Spell forum. Thanks.
  4. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Does sound like a fun build, makes me kinda wish I was doing one. :)