1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Sportster Rebuild

Discussion in 'Projects' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 20, 2014.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

I have started the investigation into which direction I want to go with my Sportster as far as C.I. displacement is concerned. My options are, 1. take engine out and the entire engine apart and go back to standard 1200. 2. Go to a 1250. 3. Go to 88. 4. Go to 90. Options 3&4 will require case boring and other small machining procedures. I have the shop picked already and am looking forward to working with them. Basically all I need to figure out is how I am going to obtain the desired power output as there are a lot of options available for me.

One thing that I am running into is that it looks like that my options for cylinders are somewhat limited if I so choose to go the 88 or 90 rout. This bothers me a little be little because they are Axtell and as of late, I haven't been hearing that great of things about Axtell, however the shop that I chose specializes with Axtell cylinders.

There are lots of things to decide on. I will let you all know what I decide as it happens, but in the meantime I will be thinking out loud in this thread about possible combinations. Thanks and stay tuned.
  2. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

With your twin cam build on the go, and personal developments in your life, why not just go back to standard 1200 for next summer if you already have the original parts. Then you can maybe pick up the '66 and throw it in the corner for later.
    Building all these bikes at once has got to be sucking money like my wife at an outlet mall.
    That's my vote for now. Convince me I'm wrong.:)
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Doesnt' HR ride this bike from time to time?

Leave it 1200, put the other green into the RG or the Iron Head.
  4. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Ok ill give you the tech answer either way your splitting the case .if your gonna go big go 100 cubic inch s&s .the cast iron from that cylinder is all in that motor rotating assembly so its coming apart before the new parts go in.
  5. JohnnyBiker

I thought about it for a little bit but have decided against it. As HRK pointed out, Hot Rider does ride this bike.
  6. JohnnyBiker

My twin cam build is on hold for a while. As far as the 66 is concerned, that isn't going to happen now either. Maybe at a later time but for the near future, no.

Since I HAVE to split the cases anyways, now is the time to do what it is I want to do. Going back in constantly isn't sound practice IMHO. I struggled greatly deciding on which engine to build. I chose the Road Glide because that is my touring ride that sees a lot different terrain than my Sportster.
  7. baggerpaul

sure of her riding abilities. She rode it and it is far from stock now she will be fine .trust me she will only wack the throttle one time and it will scare tje shit out of her and she wont do that again.lmfao
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  8. JohnnyBiker

An 88 c.i will accomplish the same thing. Lmfao
  9. baggerpaul

Bigger is better nothing like ci displacement. Lmfao
  10. JohnnyBiker

Are you trying to get me killed? WTF?
  11. baggerpaul

You do a good f...ing job on your own you don't need any help. Lol just do it
  12. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for the encouragement pal!
  13. baggerpaul

What are buddys for!always here to help with tough decisions. He he
  14. JohnnyBiker

Today I had a chance to have a good conversation with Aaron at Hammer Performance about my forced project. Everything that we spoke about didn't really come as a surprise as far as what needed to be done for this 88 C.I. monster that I am about to embark upon.

I have been able to decide on small things for this project like which cylinders I am going to use, lifters, rocker arms etc. However, I am going to wait for a while on cam choice due to some possible issues that I may have with my head's. Basic issue with my heads are the small valve sizes and small chamber volume. The chamber volume won't be much of an issue but the valves may be.
  15. baggerpaul

Find a used set of buell thunderbolt heads that way you dont have to put a ton of money and parts in those se heads
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  16. JohnnyBiker

I am warming up to this but we will discuss after you look at the estimate from Aaron.
  17. baggerpaul

I did just look at it and its a very good estimate. For whats being done .especially for the combustion chaber work seat work valve train geometry correction that needs to be done .i like that they are using a piston that will be a tight quench to the chamber and machine work to that chamber will match the piston perfect.caase work looks to be extensive and well thought out. Also seems to no his shit.
  18. JohnnyBiker

There are a couple of things that I worry about and isn't listed in the estimate. Not a big deal but should drive the price down a bit or keep it about the same.

They are: I would use the CV 44. I have one or I can get one cheep. 2. Aaron didn't specify the ccp. (Not a big deal), but didn't mention compression release drilling. 3. I may not need the clutch he mentioned as I just installed a Barnett Extra Plate just need a different spring.
  19. baggerpaul

Mikuni is not a bad carb at all but ilike the cv better still would get the bigger manifold with the cv adaptor the clutch i would by just incase you blow threw the barnett for the 139 have him throw it in the box he knows it will hold his combo so thats an easy no brainer. Barnett may or may not hold the torque.only your right hand will know.ha!may have enough duration with his cam set to bleed off ccp at start up .im sure he knows what the estimated ccp will be
    JohnnyBiker likes this.
  20. JohnnyBiker

Great point on the clutch and carb. The biggest reason why I want the CV is for my intake system. Hard for me to give that up.