1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

sporty engine

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by 88hog, May 28, 2004.

1. 88hog

88hog New Member

i have come across a 1976 sporty 1000 complete engine that had low miles on it but it has not been turned over in about 15yrs or so....wondering what a fair price would be to offer him. he took it out of the bike to rebuild bike after laying it over and never put it back in the bike. put an evo in instead.
    do not if it matters what area you live in but i am in kansas around wichita
  2. dwint

dwint New Member

i would pay 500.00
  3. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

sounds about right. is that a right foot shifter
  4. whacker

whacker Active Member

I'd make sure that it will turn over first...the cylinders could be all rusted up...sportsters changed to left shifters in 75,my bike,1975 is a left shifter....
  5. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

good replies, but it has now been 19 or so years!!!!!!!:)
  6. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

yep better drop some WD or something of the likes down the S plug hole & see if you can get it to move , or take you chance with about $150 , parts might worth that much
  7. SPORSTERBOY

SPORSTERBOY New Member

74' think that's what my neibor had, real tripp to ride, not hard to convert back, why did they do that anyway? 500 might be to much anyway, I saw on e-bay awhile back a evo sporty for 700, you could do some searching and prob. find a hole bike for 2,000 or less and runs with all the parts. frame alone will run you a nice penny, I'll be selling my stock frame next summer if your interested
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  8. fubar

fubar New Member

im looking 4 an ironhead atm right side shift i tossed something in my lower case when i when to the boogie this july i want motor to put in so i could rebuild my and not lose riding time anyone know where i could get one for a 1983 xlx ironhead???
  9. fubar

fubar New Member

its a left side shift
    right left wtf lol
  10. fubar

fubar New Member

kerosine in spark plug holes works great or tranny fluid
  11. dwint

dwint New Member

i was on ebay yesterday and there was three ironheads starting at a thousand but i dont no about the motor alone