1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

St Martins.

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Roadster guy, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Roadster guy

Roadster guy Well-Known Member

Took a ride on Saturday with a friend of mine who sells for a local bike retailer. He usually has something different for a demo, and he usually brings along something he has heard me express an interest in, but this time he threw a curve ball.
    Was supposed to be a few more people, but weather, relatives visiting, and other plans had culled the herd to just me and him.
    So at departure time a Ducati Diavel shows up with him on it. He says, "1200cc, V-Twin,like your Sporty." Um, no.
    162hp, 6 speed, 240/45/17 rear tire, not quite like the Sporty, but close...
    So we left Moncton, down through Petitcodiac, Cornhill, to Sussex, then through, Norton, Hampton, to Quispamsis where we stopped for gas. A bit over ten bucks for me, almost 15 for the Ducati. We were both full at the start.
    1 point Sporty. Then the road got hilly, twisty, and smooth, a recent paving upgrade. Ducati began to stretch its legs. I was always within sight, but no longer the leader. When we arrived at St. Martins on the coast, he did mention I kept up better than he expected, (a compliment?) and I mentioned he used the brakes alot more than I, apparently 162hp and unknown corners for him, and a "U break it, U buy it", comment from his manager before he left slowed him down a bit.
    A bit of an ugly bike to my eye, sure did sound nice at idle and under power, I declined his offer of a road test. My pockets aren't quite that deep. Coffee stops along the way usually involved strangers coming over to oogle the bike and ask what the heck it was.. Might have been the burnouts, though... :)

Attached Files:

2. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Nice shore photos as for the Ducati , "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" but I think it's ugly.
    FLHTbiker likes this.
  3. Roadster guy

Yeah, not really my thing either, I think he was a bit disappointed I wasn't too interested to try it, but it was just a bit too odd looking for me. Like the new Valkyrie from Honda, just a bit too "out there". Did sound pretty neat at red lights.
  4. Roadster guy

Took the wife down earlier this summer to St. Martins in her little Toyota, here's some more pics earlier this year when it was warmer. There is a network of caves you can explore at low tide, but remember, Bay of Fundy has highest tides in the world and they switch fast, so no lingering!
    Pirates, and then privateers used to make their way into the bay to escape and evade capture in centuries past, so who knows what treasures lie undiscovered in yonder caves! None we found.

Attached Files:

5. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Nice pics, I always enjoy seeing pics from other people's areas.
    I agree with Fatboy on the bike.
  6. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

Ha ha pirate treasure..Oak Island part Deux?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island

Thanks for sharing. Use to go to Nova Scotia every year from 2005 thru 2009. Beautiful riding. But mother when it rains its torrential. And the ferry got a bit $$$ and always sketchy about the bike storage. Back then the Bar harbor-Yarmouth was running but not cheap. Did take the St John,NB to Digby once. Either ride sucks.

And that bike is butt ugly.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  7. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

Lots of HP in that Ducati. Bikes like that don't do a thing for me. Let the hotshots ride 'em. Had a crotch rocket roar by me on the road once and I was going over 60 in a 55 zone. Left me in the dust. Ah, well, ride fast . . . die young.
  8. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders
    HarleysLR likes this.
  9. Roadster guy

Well, I figure I'm only 80% grown up, so every once in awhile I "turn it up" when I ride, but only with one or two guys I trust who I've ridden with off and on for decades. As long as you know your limits, it can be fun to test them once in awhile.
    HarleysLR likes this.
  10. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

We used to call it riding at nine ten ths. This leaves one tenth for the unexpected.
  11. Roadster guy

Ha! Good plan! 10% left to deal with the raccoon that decided to cross just below that blind hill's crest, or that cop you can't see yet, but can almost feel is coming two curves ahead in the other lane.
  12. joshbob

joshbob Well-Known Member

So many variables . . . and so little (reaction) time. Even riding conservatively things can happen fast.
  13. Roadster guy

Yep, but still more fun than the safety of the car or truck.