1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Starter Clutch driving me nuts, Good thing for the hills here

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Marc1340, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Ok I have a `96 1340 Road King and I am about to replace its 4 Starter bendix clutch. I have 66000 miles on her and it seems that about every 20000 miles she spits a starter drive. Anything I am missing here? I am running a gel battery for the last 7 years which has served me well only replaced 1 in that time and has 360CCA on it so there is plenty of power in it. First Starter clutch went at 8,000 and Harley replace it with an OEM under warranty. 27,000 miles give or take 2nd one went in, was a aftermarket, 47,000 another Harley OEM and now 66,000 miles here come the 4th. Going aftermarket just not going to spend almost triple price for OEM. Any one having this same problem? No big motor, mild cam and true-duels carb work and such.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Thats odd, my 00 heritage was cranking over with the stock HD starter a 124 engine, granted it had comp releases but still it could spin it better than the aftermarket starter I had for it.

Many of the aftermarket bigger starters take more power to turn, so they can create an even worse problem if the setup electrically isn't sound to begin with and that could be your problem.

I would go to Napa (local car parts store) get new battery cables, positive and ground and I would run a second ground from the battery directly to the frame and one to starter mounting bolt directly from the ground post. The old HD had one wire from battery to frame, and another from frame to starter, HD changed that to two wires later in production, with the rubber mount engine it was good to have a direct to starter from battery ground.

IF you can find a HD starter, maybe on Ebay you can get a better price, but for the money the HD stuff is solid, perhaps the environment loose cables, poor connectivity etc.

The issue with going aftermarket is don't upsize the starter for the "big boy" starter it creates even more issues, get one that is rated properly.

Check all the wires going to the starter, be sure you are getting correct voltage on the green trigger wire.
  3. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

HRK, Yes I checked and cleaned all the connections to and from the battery, I already had in place a starter ground to the battery even put in a known working battery and that dreaded sit and just spin. Did as many test before pulling her apart which is a pain in the A$$. just ordered 2 New High quality starter clutch, just going to take a bit to get it living on an Island n Christmas rush. The one that is not working is a OEM HD from the stealership in Lisbon at a cost of almost 300.00 US the way I go through them I ended finding one for a lot less, The bearings on the old one I replaced are in excellent condition so I am pressing them off and just replacing the bendix and sleeve. doing 2 of them for the price of 1 HD, this way I will have a spare on the shelf. going to use a lot of bearing grease to make sure there is plenty of lube. I was just checking if I was missing anything, since almost new she has gone through so many?
  4. hotroadking

Next time contact our Member CA Phil his web page is www.harleypartscheap.com

He can ship to you, he ships all over the world already so maybe he
    can get you a deal on parts let him know you are on Bike Talk

Tires, starters, plugs, etc anything NOT made by HD but made
    for and HD, he is an independent dealer.
  5. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Thanks HRK I will look him up, it is not so much the price for the item it is the customs at 25% and 18% tax I have to add before receiving the item and that also includes the shipping prices listed on the invoice. Anything from Non EU countries get this added. The Harley Dealer in Lisbon Portugal had already add the fees when the Part came from the USA to Europe. It kinda sucks so I try and order in the EU to avoid all the extra fees.
  6. hotroadking

Well he could make the invoice whatever amount you need LOL
    Marc1340 likes this.
  7. hotroadking

no tariff on used parts?

We could have them unpackage and drag through
    the dirt to make them look old LOL
  8. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Wish it was that easy, they look at all items from non-EU shipments and change for used items like they were new. Some person check and appraise item even if they don't know what it is or what it fits. Sucks.
    Fatboy128 likes this.
  9. hotroadking

Gotta love those Polly ticians

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marc1340 likes this.
  10. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

When I put in my S&S V111 my starter went out. It had 104 thou on it anyway. I called S&S for starter recommendations for their engines and they said to stick with HD. They are made as well as any of them. I kind of went with their recommendation but installed an All Balls starter clutch.

It worked great except I still had a stalling problem on hot starts and was chewing up the starter gear so I installed a different gear set. The stock gear is something like 104 teeth, I went with a 80 tooth set. It's got thicker teeth. Works just a well too.
  11. Marc1340

Marc1340 Active Member

Well I am back up and running, ordered one from the U.K. aftermarket and save a bunch. The OEM has a spacer attached under the gear and the new one does not it is all gear a lot thicker than OEM hope this means that it is bigger bearings and springs, crossing my fingers. The new one did not come with bearings on either end, just repacked and used the ones that were on the OEM as they were in excellent condition. Just a pain in the A$$.
    Red Rider likes this.
  12. hotroadking

That's good I can't imagine having to go through all that just to get a starter.