1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Stock Needle?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by JohnnyBiker, Oct 14, 2011.

1. JohnnyBiker

JohnnyBiker Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the stock needle is for a 40mm cv for a 1996 sportster?
  2. JohnnyBiker

Ok, I have heard back from Ken and he does not have an adjustable needle. I told my indy to order the kit which is going to require a change of the emulsion tube and comes with Jets. I am not sure if I will be able to use the ones that I purchased from Ken or not. I guess I will have to see. If not, I hope I can return them as the packages have not been opened just yet... Thanks and this sucks. I was hoping to do all of this myself.....:rant::rant::gah::gah:
  3. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

It's not a Dyno-jet kit you're ordering is it??:confused:
  4. JohnnyBiker

No, my indy did throw that out as a possibility of what is available and I said absolutely not to the dyno- jet kit. This is going to interesting to see how this goes. I have never heard of an adjustable needle, but it is the only way that I can get that needle seated down further.:banghead:
  5. Lucifer

You don't need an adjustable needle...pull the stock needle and shim out and drop in the N65C needle set your idle mix and try it...
  6. JohnnyBiker

The problem is that there was NO SHIM in and the N65C needle was already in. I have to have the adjustable needle as I do not have the stock needle nor do I know what the stock needle is...:banghead::witsend:
  7. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

JB, I've got a stock needle and other stock carb parts, parts are off a 1990 evo 80 incher. May not be what you're looking for. Very little taper and looks /feels kind of fat to me.
    I don't understand why you want to take out a good part and put in something like the stock parts?
  8. JohnnyBiker

I first thought that I had a shim in the carb and a stock needle. I need to retune my carb because my AFR from dyno pulls are telling me that I am too rich. Listening to the advice of many, it was suggested to take the shim out and put the N65c needle in and remove the shim. Well, today I tore the carb apart only to discover that there was no shim and that the N65c needle already installed. This means that this needle is not working properly and I need to put a different one in. I am not sure if a stock one will work either. I created this thread before I fully understood what my indy was saying. We are talking the N65c out and we are going to use an adjustable needle so I can get that needle seated further down so it will transition slower.... A mess, but we will all get it worked out...:D
  9. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

OK thanks,
    Remember lean is mean... but fat is where it's at....
  10. JohnnyBiker

Too much fuel is not good either.....
  11. JohnnyBiker

Can anyone tell me what the stock diameter of the slide hole is supposed to be??
  12. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

To much fuel will cause a loss in power also.

27094-88 needle (N65C) is that not the stock needle for your Sporster
  13. JohnnyBiker

No that is not the stock needle for my bike. That needle was discontinued in 88 and was used on non accel pump models. (Pre 89). My bike is a 1996.
  14. JohnnyBiker

As of now I can fit a 3/32 drill bit in the hole.. I am not sure if that is stock or not. As we all know if that hole has been drilled, this could also be my prob;em..
  15. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

If that is not the stock needle, then it does sound to me that someone else has been in there and then as you know you don't know what's been done. If you haven't try going online and looking for a breakdown of the carb or try calling your HD dealer to find out what the stock needle is.
  16. Lucifer

Think I got it now:gah: :roflmao: Here's a good list of all the CV needles:D:drunk:

Attached Files:

17. Lucifer

What does a good AFR line look like?? What ratio should it be at idle??12.5-13.5?? what about off idle,midrange and top end??:cheers:
  18. JohnnyBiker

I know that there has been work done since I have had it but never changed the needle, just the jets and put a new accel pump in. I did call my Hd dealer and they couldn't tell me... I did look online a little, but not a whole lot. I spoke to my indy this morning and he hd told me that the hole was stock...
  19. JohnnyBiker

Thanks for this information Lucifer. I will get this to my indy and I am positive that he can make use of this chart. BP mentioned this chart over the phone the other night. :cool: AWESOME!!!
  20. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

The slide vacuum port hole should be at or less than 7/64". Any larger and the slide is opening too fast (rich off idle) while bouncing or moving erratically.

Make sure you are using a stock or similar spring. A cut spring will also allow the slide to lift too quickly in the midrange.

Your problem is unique and something I rarely see anyone encounter. Typically if the pilot jet, mixture screw, and main jet are in the correct range it's really tough to find a needle too rich, though the N65C needle is up there on the rich scale. If you tell me the year and engine size I can track down the number on the original needle. If you've had head work done then it could be tougher to figure this out.

BTW, most adjustable needles use a special emulsion tube and matching main jets. If you use the one from DynoJet make sure to get the version that accepts OEM jets so you aren't stuck buying only their brand of jets in the future.