1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tappet oil filter cap screw

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Hogdog, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

1989 ultra in restore. The Tappet Oil Screen Cape Screw is stuck, it wont budge. Any suggestions on how I may remove it. The service manual calls it a plug so I assume it unscrews. Do I dare tap it with a drift pin and hammer to loosen it?
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

3. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Drift pin and hammer worked, buggered up the plug a mite. The HD mechanic had the same difficulty in the past and scratched the tappet cover. My 14 inch drift pin and 10 lb hammer worked quite well. Hope this helps someone who has the same problem
    Red Rider likes this.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Great feedback, quality info - thanks for sharing!
  5. Brucifer57

Brucifer57 Member

[​IMG]
    Drag link sockets, I believe these will work.
  6. Hogdog

Hogdog Active Member

Thank You Brucifer57,

Yea that would have done the job much better than drift Pin/hammer. Hard for me to believe there is a tool I don't have, lol
  7. Brucifer57

Brucifer57 Member

Had a complete set, 20 years ago, can not find them now. Bought when I had a 1976 sportster. Craftman set, but I looked to buy another set, and they do not seem to have them in stock.