1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Testing voltage from a 3-phase stator (???)

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Matt51F1, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Matt51F1

Matt51F1 Member

Hello!

I know people are going to say that there is a post in tech tips about testing a stator but in all the posts on all of the sites that I see, there is a common thing missing.... Where does the common connect when trying to get a voltage reading?

I have a 2005 TDM900 (was never sold in the USA - it was a natural progression from the TDM850). Very popular in continental Europe and they have a tendency to polarise the attitude of the rider - you either hate 'em or love 'em. Electrics are 3-phase stator + Shindengen MOSFET R/R (FH001, 35A, 200v)

Now - my problem is that the battery is not charging. The manual says to check the resistance across the wires of the stator (should be 0.18~0.28 ohm - my readings come in at 0.7~0.8 ohm). Next thing I try to check is the voltage out of the stator (should be 60-70 volts per phase) but I am getting 0 from each.

The only thing I can concluse is that either my stator is completely stuffed or I am not getting a good earth. I have tried multiple points on the bike except for the battery -ve terminal and have been advised to not go the black wire that is the output from the R/R as it will blow the computer.

I just need to determine that if my problem is not the stator then I can replace the R/R but it is the determination that is the issue. I will also need to order from the USA (shares some parts with the early R1) as a new stator here is over $600 and R/R over $240.

I saw one post somewhere that if the magnets on the end of the crank hold onto the generator cover as you pull it off, then the stator is stuffed - but that sounds like rubbish to me.

I do not go to bike shops here in Brisbane as most of them are staffed only by kids who want to sell you a bike or a jacket and don't know much else. When you walk into a service department and need to explain and describe what a mini glass fuse is to the idiot behind the counter, you decide that they will *never* be putting a spanner on any bike you own.

Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
  2. baggerpaul

baggerpaul Well-Known Member

Hello sir and good evening . If you have a wiring diagram of this stator set up and would like to email it to me I will be more than happy.to look it over and help you . I am very good at electrical diagnosis .and do this for a living . I will be happy to help you if you would like to email this info to me . What has me kind of concerned is you have 0 voltage period allmost sounds as there is an open circuit you should have something present in ac voltage it is a large magnet that is constanly spinning! Very odd . Or it may be that the stator assembly is completely shorted to ground in the case! And the main fuse link is burnt . I have to look at the diagram to see how its wired. Hope to help ya .
  3. Matt51F1

Matt51F1 Member

BaggerPaul,

Hello and thank you for the offer. I have the full workshop manual with all of the diagrams but I have since discovered a site that can tell me how to test the stator.
    The problem is that I was told to test it (a 3-phase AC type) by putting the positive connector into one of the plug slots and touching the negative to a bolt on the engine.
    This is wrong as it does not work.
    Being an AC-current producing device, I was corrected and told that to test the voltage output, you put the negative test electrode into one of the other two slots and testing between all 3 connectors as positive and across the poles, it should yield 60-70 volts each.
    Unfortunately, I found all of this out /after/ taking the stator out and mailing it away to someone to have rewired (since the replacement OEM part here in Australia is over $600 and it is near impossible to locate someone who can order in an after-market equivalent for the prices I see advertised in the USA. What makes it harder is that Yamaha used that part number for that bike alone and non only can I not cross-reference it to anything else - that bike was not sold in the USA, so there is no part for it over there.
    Trying to find dimensions of the stator is next to impossible but I think it would be very similar to that found in the 2002 YZF-R1.

The offer of assistance is appreciated nonetheless and if you would like a copy of the workshop manual or an extract of the electrical section for your own perusal, I will be happy to send it to you :)

Thanks

Matt
  4. baggerpaul

thank you sir for the offer . but i wont need it i just wanted to see how the regulator and stator were wired to help a fellow biker is all . hope you get a quality . stator in return . and your back to riding all the best to you . and if there is any thing else we can help you with in the futre let us know here on the forum.:cheers:
  5. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Holy cow! "Sir" "Thank you" What happened to you Paul?!?!? Where's the real Bagger, what did you do with him you body snatcher you! :rant:
  6. baggerpaul

Don't want to scare the new guy away gumba! We need some newbies on the forum.! All bull **** aside my old man did raise me proper I just don't know what happened! Lol
  7. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
  8. Matt51F1

Matt51F1 Member

Uh yeah - I kinda wondered about the "sir" and such and thought that I had just met an overly polite person.

No such niceties required with me though ;)
  9. Matt51F1

Matt51F1 Member

Oh wow... I completely forgot about this forum (sorry to everyone.... I tend to not spend much time on forums as I work on computers all day - so you kind-of tend to avoid them at night....)

Nobody will believe it but this same bike is having the same problem again :/
    Yes - I still have it although it is now at 206,000 km on the clock.