1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Todays Ride

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by FLHTbiker, Jan 1, 2006.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

1-1-06 Polar Bear Ride, Portland OR.

Weather: 49 Degrees-Windy-Rain :(

Food: Krispy Cream donuts dipped in Chile :eek:

Ride: Windy and wet :rolleyes:

Well, if you don't ride in rain here in the Northwest then you just don't ride much. But at least Lord don't blow me off the road with those high winds.

Marc
  2. SK

SK New Member

Hey, you got out for a ride..that's great. A little water never hurt no one..well..it is flooding like crazy in California.

I got to ski yesterday!
  3. CD

CD Guest

Did you see that video of the kid floating down the street? He was apparently trying to get to school. Someone pulled him out by his back pack straps.
  4. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i saw that clip....amazing video, calif. sure is getting their share of rain!!!!! we could use some of it here in TEXAS!!
    i went for a short 4 hr ride today....got up to nearly 80.....i love this weather.........but dont like the 100+ days that are just around the corner!!!!!
    chuck
  5. FLHTbiker

We have had a lot of flooding here in western Oregon but it does not make the news like Calif. Several people have been killed by the flooding and by trees falling over from the saturated ground. Our New Year Day ride was even re-routed due to the water and slides. Several roads in the Portland area have slid down the hillside, don't know how they will ever fix some of them.
    More storms coming in this week, oh well winter is here.

Marc
  6. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yup, I went for an 3+ hour ride on Wednesday, it was in the upper 60’s. In the 40’s and 50’s today and tomorrow, BUT, it will be back into the mid-60’s in a couple of days… So , what’s up with the weather? It's January, Ya, I know, the end is near. :eek:
  7. AFNurse

AFNurse Moderator Staff Member

went riding

Tuesday, I rode the 22 miles to the HD shop to get a new tire and the 10K service....after that got done, decided that it was only 1PM, 83 degrees, gentile breeze, and a great day for a ride. Rode from San Antonio out to Kerrville on I10, then took Hwy 16 from Kerrville back to San Antonio......some nice gentle twisties, some NOT so gentile twisties, and overall a GREAT ride!! All in all, a good day, minus the fact that I had to PAY for my service and tire.......was kinda hoping for a late Christmas present!!! :D :rolleyes: :cool: Oh well....did get a deal that if I bought the tire from service, mounting was free....helped save a bit. I hear that Germany is snowed in this year.....so, shopguy/usahellas.....how's your riding going??!! :p
  8. scooter

scooter New Member

On the first day of the year, rode with bros from Cleveland Tx down to Galveston. Was great warm weather until the top of the mainland bridge, where it must have dropped 20 degrees!!! Hit a fogbank about 3/4 mile later...was like ridin' into a bad pirate movie. Ate at The Spot, so we were all fuller'n ticks, then got all bundled up for the ride back only to strip it back off about 10 miles later. Go figure, Texas in winter! :rolleyes:

Gonna do it again this weekend, unless I have to wind up workin'. ;)

scoot
  9. FLHTbiker

Wow, I sure wouldn't mind some of that Texas weather up here in Oregon about right now. I doubt if we will see the ol sun ball for a good month or more. Nothing worse than a gray sky, except for a gray sky with water falling out in large quantities. :(
  10. scooter

scooter New Member

I guess that's one of the bennies of livin' here. Of course, the down side is having that same wet stuff in the form of humidity, and an ambient temperature of 98-104 degrees on the blacktop. Nice.. :eek:

Makes the bike appreciate cooler weather, too!!
  11. chucktx

scooter.......if your in clev.tx, i am about 30 minutes east of you in rye.......
    chuck
  12. scooter

scooter New Member

Alright, a neighbor!! :D
  13. AZ05FXST

AZ05FXST New Member

Yesterday's Ride

Yesterday in central AZ. was AWESOME!!! Did a 175 mile loop out east of Mesa. It doesn't get much better, wish the wife could have been along for the ride, had to work, glad I didn't let that stop me. :rolleyes:

The route: From Mesa east on 60 to Superior, south on 177 to Winkelman, north on 77 to Globe, west on 60 for the return to Mesa. Outstanding scenery, lots of ups, downs and twisties. Several HUGE open pit copper mines and a good strech along a river (I think it's the Gila). Great photo opportunities all along the way. Biker friendly place in Superior, Los Hermanos good place to pound down some really great mexican food, shoot pool/have your favorite beverage.

Always looking for more people to ride with, anyone on the forum in my area?

Have a Great Weekend, RIDE SAFE!!!
    TW
  14. FLHTbiker

TW, to bad you did not know us earlier when we did the annual Bike Talk ride. We were in Springerville, AZ and had a great time. CD, hosted the ride and can't say enough about him and his wife, super people. My only regret is I wished I could live in Northern, AZ beautiful riding country.

Our HOG chapter is doing a ride tomorrow and we pre-rode it today. My god did it rain, even with rain gear you got wet in places that you would never guess that water could get in. One washed out road and one road was flooded over so we had to do some rerouting. Good thing for full face helmets. Sure hope we get a break in the weather for Sunday.

We have been getting so much rain that houses are sliding off their foundations. One house here in town (Oregon City) up the road from me has slid down a hill when the bank gave way. You guys in Texas need a little water.

Marc G
  15. chucktx

wow, marc. i didnt know the weather was that bad up there. the news here only talks about calif. if you can, send all the rain you can!!!!!!!! i think the whole state is under a fire ban.....
    chuck
  16. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Marc, you guys are getting the garbage we got last spring..I hope it dries out for you..we need snow here. TW, you should try to hook up with CD and the bunch next labor day..good folks..I've had a blast with them. This year is a little sketchy for me....gotta save for a wedding. I really like northern AZ but I can't afford to retire there..health care is not cheap..[sorry guys,..just a canuck hangup]...enjoy the riding fellas..I'll get some skiing in.
  17. AZ05FXST

AZ05FXST New Member

Rain?

Marc, hope it stops raining for awhile for you guy's. Sounds like you get as much in a day as we get the whole year, it's a good year if we get over 7". It hasn't rained in over 4 months here, when it does it is always welcomed. I have very little experience riding in the stuff, the few times I've been caught out in it I get uptight, it's a very uncomfortable feeling. I am a fair weather rider, good thing we mostly have fair weather. The heat is easy to deal with, go early, drink LOTS of water.

Does CD put a ride together every year @ Labor Day? If so I'll ink it in on the calendar.

TW
  18. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

The Labor Day ride's been a tradition for a number of years now..it's a good time
  19. FLHTbiker

Well, we did our soggy ride today. Soggy ain't really the word for it as it down right dumped. We still had twenty bikes on the ride and two in a car due to some health issues (colds). It rained like a cow piss^%g on a flat rock. :mad: Weather man said we were going to get a little bit of a break today and that the sun would peek through, yea right. Those guys need to get a real job.
    We did have one flooded over road but it only came up to the floor baords :eek: and was only about 50 yards long or so. Even the wife rode through it. Couple guys with the handle bar mounted CB's got water in them and boy they can really squeal when the internals get wet. The ride was about 100 miles round trip, so not to bad. Boy CD, SK and Bob, sure did make riding in Arizona last September really nice.
    Went out and looked at the bike a bit ago and it looks like I rode it through a muddy field, now I get to clean it and better do it before all that crud dries up and gets real hard.
    The restaurant we went to today is called the Wild Mustang Cafe (located in a Rodeo town) and was great. Man do they pour on the food. They have one burger for $18.95 comes with 2 pounds of fries and the burger weights in at 7 pounds. They will give it to you for free if you can eat everything, including the fries. They had a photo book of all the losers :) The only guy to eat the whole thing did it in 15 minutes, gee's I'll bet he was probably some skinny guy like Bob.

Wedding Bob hmmm, who's all invited. I got to tell you that its kind of hard picturing you married. She must be one really special lady to tie you down.
  20. SK

SK New Member

Wow Marc..I don't mind a little rain, but that sounds kind of rediculous. Makes me think about my plans of getting a place in Newport after I graduate. I don't know if it rains as much a little south, but I'm not sure it'll stop me.

Better riding in the rain than doing what I was doing yesterday..cutting tile in the falling snow outside. Icicles forming all around my tile saw. Too bad the saw sprays so bad or I'd set it up in the house. Now this morning it's clear as a bell with a wonderful view outside and I'll be inside laying all the cut pieces. Oh well..I'll be done today except to grout and then it's skiing the rest of the week until I go home to Las Vegas this weekend. School starts next week.