1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Tuner question

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by big_jake57, Mar 13, 2014.

1. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Not to start a war here,, (like oil and tire opinions) but I'm at the point of getting a tuner for my scooter. I'm dangling between a Power Commander and one of the CPU burners like TTS. I'm familiar with and have used the PC unit and liked it. Have had the Harley "download" which wasnt enough for my last build, and also had good results with the plain old Cobra unit on my Wide Glide.
    This is for my 2012 geezer glide 103 with Dresser Duals, Big Oval mufflers and SE air cleaner. Not planning on a Dyno tune, as I just want it to run cooler and proper with the changes. I'm pretty sure at this point that I have outgrown the Hot Rod engines after last years melt down. Leaning toward the PC,, but my brothers tri glide will need tuning too in the near future and I see the TTS has a dual bike kit available.
    Thoughts from those who know ?
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

FuelMoto has the power vision it looks like a good tool and appears to do a lot, not priced to bad either.
    Right now I'm using Direct Link, but all you get is what is called a key and the dyno shop has the actual software. Its a flash tunner and tweaks the stock ECM.
    Stage one on my 96" 08 SG dynoed 76 HP and 94 ft lbs of torque with it.
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

For what you are doing any of them will work, it's all about how they work and how much you want to spend.

I use the TTS, as long as you have a laptop and you'll have to buy the cable it's pretty straight forward, the advantage is you don't have to install and hide any new parts on the bike. You can do runs with the TTS and laptop connected to the bike to fine tune any map to your bike.

Powercommander from Fuel Moto will come with a map that should be good to go out of the box, install is simple, and it's cost effective, you probably won't need to do any fine tuning but you can add an auto tune option for more $$$

Both can take new add on power changes down the road like cams, head work, etc and adapt.

Thundermax is a complete system replacement of your ECM with their ECM it's a bit pricey but it works, you need to get the auto tune part as well in order to take advantage of the system, the big difference is you swap out your HD ECM for Thundermaxes ECM.

So no bolt ons, TTS, SERT,
    Bolt on - Powercommander
    Change out - ThunderMax
    badinfluence63 likes this.
  4. marc 55

marc 55 Well-Known Member

I have a PC III on my 04 GeezerGlide and no problems...Just remember that the canned maps are a starting point...Jamie at Fuel Moto provided me with a pretty good map for what I had but a good tunner will make it better...
  5. badinfluence63

badinfluence63 Well-Known Member

6. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

Good info,, thanks !
  7. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Texas between Fort Worth and Wichita Falls
    I tried a PC 3 from Fuel Moto on my 07 Electra glide and it was a total failure. Seems like I had their techs on the line all the time. The thing worked and seemed to improve response some but the problem was getting the bike started. Before I put the unit on the bike would start super quick. Like on first compression. After install it would crank and crank and crank. They claim that on older bikes the electronics are all getting old enough to start to fail. And the tuner becomes a parasite to the electrical system which causes some parts not to get the power they need. Sounded like BS to me but I wasn't going to let that unit cause the starter and who knows what else to get worn out. I even asked it they could give me a map that would not even kick in until the bike started running or got to 1,000 rpm's. They said it wouldn't make a difference. That the drain on system would still be there. So I removed it an installed XIED's. Now it's back to starting like it should and I guess it has more fuel since the mileage did drop some. I was not happy and I still think they are full of it but people talk highly of them. Of course they said they could solve the problem if I brought it to them. They did say anyone with a dyno could as well. But all I wanted was a little more fuel. Not worth the hassle. Not even the amount I had already been through. So it sounds like on older bikes it's a crap shoot because I asked around and others with older bikes had no problem. There is my sad story!
  8. Fatboy128

Fatboy128 Well-Known Member

Wow first one from fuel Moto that I have heard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  9. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

I don't doubt there is something on my bike getting marginal. But they could not say what it might be. But cranking forever was surely going to ruin something. I still don't understand why they couldn't make it come alive AFTER the bike was running. It's just programming but they insisted it would not change anything. Now I'm afraid to try a Cobra for fear of the same result even though they claim the constant tuning would give optimum performance. I just can't afford to throw away $500 because I can't get confirmation they would take it back with full refund like Fuel Moto. So without a doubt Fuel Moto is the place to go as it stands but they don't have Cobra products.
  10. hotroadking

That sounds like a defective PC unit did they try a replacement unit?

I've heard good things about them and recommended them for years,
    might be something in a sensor on the bike not sending a signal back
    surprised Power Commander couldn't isloate the issue but if you took
    it off and the bike starts fine I'd say it was the PC.

You can go to a TTS Mastertune on your 07, no bolt on parts,
    it allows you to connect to the ECM and upload a map into the HD
    ECM, run the bike in tune mode and fine tune the map.

Cheapest place to get them is through CA Phil using the Kuryakyn
    part number.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

I have the new Harley tuner on mine with pipes and SE air cleaner. She runs strong and very good. My 110 has never done real great on fuel mileage and its in the 40-45 range depending on the wrist but its acceptable for me.
  12. hotroadking

Basically the HD SE Tuner and the TTS are similar software solutions
    to the tuning of the bike and eliminates adding in a box.

Other option would be CB's Thundermax which is a complete ECM
    replacement.

With your mild build the software or PC solutions would work well
  13. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

14. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Hmmm. Don't know what happened to my reply?

I would think Fuel Moto would have done a check on when it was returned and contacted me if that were the case. If not and it was defective, then someone else is going to have the same experience. Can't imagine them taking that risk. I would have been more than happy to try another unit but it really appears that isn't an option. I've not look into TTS Mastertune. I'm really leery trying anything else out given what Fuel Moto said about tuners being a parasite to the electrical system. But I would really like to try a Cobra CVT. Just can't take the risk. I ain't loaded with money.
  15. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Is this what you are referring to? Where does it connect if so?
    Kuryakyn 9228 Mastertune Cable Kit
    [​IMG]

Edit: I guess this is needed and is really what you are talking about. Would still like to know what it connects to though.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  16. hotroadking

Yes that is a software key it marries to he VIN.
    Nothing stats connected you hook up a laptop via cable to the HD ECM and send the program
    The ECM

So you are just sending up data to make new settings in the suck ECM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  17. hogcowboy

hogcowboy Active Member

Hmmm. So how do you know what to change and how much to change it? Trial and error?
  18. hotroadking

It comes with base maps from pipes and filter to bigger builds tts will help you choose a base map. Mine was dead on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  19. big_jake57

big_jake57 Active Member

CA Phil ??

20. hotroadking

www.harleypartscheap.com
    Shop is California Phils in Concordia KS

He's a good dealer, one man band shop, been there
    for years I've known him for at least 15 years, will give
    you a discount, you can tell him I sent you...

Anything not HD Dealer parts.. HD stopped that stuff.

Tires, etc he will take care of you...