1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Ultima EL BRUTO Engines?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by Royboye4, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Royboye4

Royboye4 New Member

My 1991 FXSTC stock Evo just grenaded on me friday. (cam wobbled, broke cases, all done)
    I have the cash right now to pick and choose a new engine. But the decision is driving me nuts. I only want to do this once! I've been looking at the old faithfuls like the 96 ci S&S and the (kinda skeptical) Rev Tech engines.
    Bro of mine turned me onto Ultima EL BRUTO motor site.
    They look and read pretty impressive. All American cast. All good guts.
    100 ci has 110 fpt and 110 rt. Comes complete with S&S Super G carb and is very competitive in price with S&S motors.

QUESTION; Anyone ever heard anything either good or bad about these motors? I'm completely in the dark here and it's a huge decision. Gettin alittle freaked out with this choice thing.
    AND; Don't Y'all think that a polished motor would look stupid with a black inner primary?! hmmmm decisions decisions.
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Buddy has the 113 in his rebuilt 98 RK, pulled EFI, this motor runs strong, very well built and worth the money.

Only issue we had was a broken part on a crane ignition module in the nose cone and that is a crane issue a year later it was replaced free, other than that he's got 122hp 122 tq and gets 40 mpg crusing.
  3. Royboye4

Royboye4 New Member

hmmmmm

I just dont know.
    I know the history of S&S and theyre certificates and warrenties.
    Rev Tech has a 3 YEAR WARRENTY .
    This El Bruto looks great and sounds good but man,,,I hate making a 5000 dollar mistake like that.
    Wish I had more input from people who knew more about them.
  4. hotroadking

I have a full S&S 116 kit in my bike, they have been fair with some issues on the rocker boxes when they first shipped it the holes for the bolts were not deep enough and I couldn't tighten down the tops. S&S replaced them. Other than that no issues.

My buddies El Bruto has had no issues, nothing, it starts every time runs great, for the money IMHO it was a great buy, he spend as much trying to build a stock evo up, and there is no way, the cases won't handle it, and you'll be way over spent.

If you want send the stock motor back to HD and they can remanufacture it, you get a warranty if the dealer does the work and your stock motor back.

The Rev Tech is a good motor, either way El Bruto which is MidWest and Revtech are good buys, for the money you will get a lot of power.

When we were tracking down problems why the El Bruto wouldnt fire Midwest helped extensively even though it wasn't a warranty or motor issue it was Cranes Ignition that took a dump, that could happen in a rebuilt evo and has, they have known issues with the module. Its been fixed

Either way put the starter relay option from crane in your bike when you go bigger, it helps send more power to the coil and the bike will start better.

Just buy one and bolt it in :D is the best way to go. Trying to build over 90 HP from a stock evo is very expensive.
  5. maxpower_hd

maxpower_hd Active Member

Revtech

I haven't had any experience with the El Bruto but have had some experience with the Revtech 100" motors. I think they are great motors for the money and have one of the best, if not the best, warranty out there.

IMHO I would stick with black and chrome if that's what you have now. I personally like that look better than the polished anyway. Plus that way you know how it will look. If you get the polished, you know you'll wind up spending mucho dinero trying to make everythihng else match the motor.

I've also seen some old, high mileage polished motors and they don't look as nice as when they are new. They black and chrome scheme seems to last the longest.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on and why. I know others have the same concerns.
  6. Tumshie

Tumshie New Member

El Bruto

A guy I work with bought a kit bike "Fat Bastard" and it has the Ultima 113 in it. Engine has about 500 + miles on it now, and both front and rear cyls. have had rocker arm failures.The company rep here in Canada sent up new parts pronto, and it has been fine so far. Apparently there was a batch of bad rockers that got into production in the spring.
  7. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

pulled EFI ?

Hey Hotroadking,

You mentioned that your buddy pulled the EFI. That is something I have been wondering about. What do you need to change from EFI to points and carb? Do you have to change the wiring harness? Is there anything else?

When I win the lottory or when I blow up the EVO (which ever comes first) I want a 100"+ motor but I don't want the hassle of having to let some self proclaimed engine calibrator dyno tune the thing. It would be great to dump the Magnelli Morilli (sp) and just add a carb.
  8. hotroadking

The best way is to buy a new harness for a carb bike of your model, it makes it much easier to track issues and to hook things up.

However he had the tank extended and they removed the EFI pump and fittings from the petcock area and welded in a bung for a normal carb petcock. Left the tank opening on top stock, no reason to close up the tank (where you open to see the pump)

Then using the EFI harness hook up what you need, a manual with a wire diagram is a good thing to have, You don't need the whole wiring harness just the main harness to convert over.

The New motors come with electronic ignitions, so you just wire them into the coil. Pretty straight forward.
  9. beau44

beau44 New Member

We put a 120 El Bruto in our latestchopper,ran about 20 miles before actin up valve stemon the rear head backed out, a call to midwest an we found out that a problem has been goin on with the ones over 113 ci, sent it back an goin to a 113 instead.
    Just thought you might want to know
  10. beau44

beau44 New Member

Here is an update, Midwest sent us a 127 Ultima for the 120 that went bad, it looks like it was put together better but as of now, tmimg is right on, plenty of compression, good oil pressure but it just wont fire,the 120 took right off. Dont know about you Bro,s but Ultima is in my **** bin
  11. hotroadking

Beau,

Sometimes the big motors will pull a battery down, making the power to the coil below the amount needed to fire, did this on a 113.

Use cranes relay kit (it's a standard bosch relay you can get at a parts store, 4 pole relay)

Wire up the relay to the battery, and a ground to frame, then you will run one wire up to the starter switch and splice in, and one to the center post on the coil.

When you go to fire the bike this allows the battery to serve power straight to the coil around the wiring/starter system.

Makes a big difference.

You can get the PDF manual on cranes website www.cranecams.com go to motorcycle and find the starter relay for big inch motors.