1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

V&H Pro HS 2 into 1

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bharris, Nov 21, 2004.

1. bharris

bharris New Member

I've almost decided to go with the V&H Pro HS 2 into 1 for my '03 Ultra Classic along with the Stage 1 filter upgrade and purchase the DynoJet Power Commander for the re-map. Anyone have any experience they'd like to give on this combo? I've done a lot of research and this seems to be one of the best ones as I'm interested more in performance, sound is a secondary consideration. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(BTW, Direct Parts will be where I buy from!)

Bill
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  2. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Yes I had run the Pro pipe on a 99 Road King with the older style fuel injection stage 2 kit and the power commander. The pipe is a breeze to install and looks and sounds great. My cousin is running the set up you’re speaking of on a 03 ultra and is very satisfied with the bike performance. The only down side is the Pro pipe is a tad loud at 70+ speeds. My cousin only did the stage one download with SE air cleaner and did not install the power commander. I would recommend buying a ceramic coating that is offered by K&N to coat the inside of the collector section of the Pro pipe, a little insurance to keep it from turning color! The coating does work if the directions are followed applying it.

Ride SAFE Ride often...
  3. CD

CD Guest

Cracker,

Has your cuz checked the A/F ratio? The only reason I ask is that the increased air flow of the 2-1 vs. the SEII can make for a pretty big leanout. Since the EFI cannot compensate, the engine will tend to be pretty lean.

The lean condition is indicated by increased engine heat, decel lean popping or off idle lean pop, exhaust turning gold then blue / black. The Pro Pipe will tend to turn gold at the collector and where the megaphone expands just past that. When chrome discolors it tells you why. Gold to dark blue then black is lean. Instant light blue turning to purplish blue is rich. Properly jetted, chrome changes slowly over time.

Most EFI systems we use on motorcycles are pretty unsophisticated compared to what we are used to on cars. They are open loop much like the early EFI used on Chevy's. A simple computer with a "map" or table like a spreadsheet and a throttle body. Sort of an electonic carburetor. Very few sensors and pretty simple.

If we make changes outside the scope of SE parts, we need an external method to tune the mixture and timing. The HRT (Harley Race Tuner) writes directly to the computer but requires someone knowledgeable to install and adjust. The Power Commander uses it's own map to adjust the computers output on the fly. The DFO or Digital Fuel Optimizer allows you to manually adjust the fuel curve adding fuel but not reducing fuel.

If you are running EFI and install high flow exhaust, keep an eye on what your engine is telling you. Running hot, pinging or detonation, decel pop or really white plug insulators will indicate too lean a condition.
  4. bharris

bharris New Member

Cracker, thanks for taking the time to reply, you pretty much helped solidify my decision on this combo. I am somewhat concerned about it being too loud at hwy speeds but probably I can live with it as I do want more "tone". Sounds like good advice on the coating also; I'll definitely use it!

CD, can I assume you think the Power Commander is the better option? I have a friend who bought the DFO and really likes it. I also did some research on it too but I would rather spend the extra money on the commander as I believe it allows easier useage and more tweaking options as you progress with the stages. Is the correct thinking? You've really shed some good info on the EFI and tuning properly when changing flow in the engine, a lot of people will find this very useful and helpful so if you can offer any more advice please do! I just want to be sure and make the wisest choice I can so there won't be any disappointment after putting out that much cash.

Thanks for the help guys!

Bill
  5. Cracker

Cracker New Member

Your welcome, you won't be disappointed with the pipe. The coating is easy to apply, just be sure to clean up the inside of the collector with a wire wheel and then wash it out with some rubbing alcohol. Follow the directions applying a couple of thin coats. I wrapped mine up in a heavy towel and placed in a warm oven between coats turning it every so often trying to keep the coating even. It turned out great.

CD the Cuz's bike runs good no popping or overheating, but as I stated prior he did get the stage 1 SE download done.

One other thing pertaining to the difference between selecting the commander over DFO is the commander is plug in, I'm not positive but the last I knew the DFO required splicing. Once you get acclimated with the commander it's very easy to work with, just like changing jets you just have to be patient and keep good records, oh it does help if you have some computer Knowledge, but you must or you wouldn’t be reading this.

Enjoy Ride SAFE Ride often...
  6. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

I think DFO's now have a harness plug option, they have been plug and play.

For the argument, if stage 1 (pipes and filter ) are the max changes then the dfo is good, even for a mild cam change it will work well. It's only drawbacks are you cannot change ignition settings or reduce fuel in areas if needed.

The dfo premise is everyone is lean to start with and they only get leaner with modifications. In some cases that may not be true across the afr range but it's accepted as normally the case.

The PC USB model is better for those that want to get into performance long term, cams, big bore, heads, etc. You can change fuel and timing

In either case a Dyno tune is the best bet to get the proper fuel curve setup and you will get good mileage and good power.

Stage 1 hop up is best bang for the buck, pro pipes a bit much for just a filter change but run the most restrictive baffle and it will work well. Plus you can grow the motor with it into a bigger 95 inch motor.