1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Voltage regulator connection - Evo motor

Discussion in 'Using this forum - Help and Feedback' started by Sako, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Sako

Sako Member

Its well known the voltage regulator connection is at best a bit "iffy" but like most owners I thought problems with it only happened to other people - WRONG !! The other day the plug had disconnected and after stopping at a mates the bike wouldnt start, the battery too flat to spin the motor. Fortunately after discovering the problem (and bump starting the bike) the system seemed ok pushing out 14+volts.
    So my question is what have other owners used to secure the plug ?
  2. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

a bit tardy on a reply from anyone, our apolligies. evo motor I would suspect?
  3. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Zip Tie would be my suggestion
    or simply order two new plastic connectors
    and move the wires from the old ones

Perhaps it's just gotten tired, but I'd bet it wasn't
    put back together fully the last time it was apart
    and wiggled loose or someone is fuggin with you.
  4. bambidee

bambidee Active Member

did it come apart at the primary cover plug to the stator or the reg ?
  5. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

6. Sako

Sako Member

The connector cam adrift at the primary end, I thought about a tyrap to secure it but there isn't much to secure it to, I might try a dab of superglue on the rubber boot. Thanks for the link Lucifer, I have an evo motor so this apparently is the one that fits:
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/3800541#

Has anyone tried these ?
  7. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Just about all of them on that page will work.

I had the 1st one in the link, but my stator started grounding out before it came,so with a new stator the connection was tight so I didn't install it.Now I can't find it:rolleyes:
    When that plug gets loose it will arc and burn the prongs creating a looser connection which will eventually cause the stator to ground or burn out regulator or both.
    Check the plug at the primary case and make sure the prongs are in good shape and tight