1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Where the rubber meets the Road -----------

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by bluejay864, Aug 29, 2005.

1. bluejay864

bluejay864 New Member

Question, on my 1977 FLH 1200 4spd, w/spoked wheels. From stock I thought 150/90 16 rear and 120/90 front. I want to replace the tires, and would like to put the biggest tires down without screwing up the performance and handling of the bike. Was thinking someone could steer me in the right direction. I have been told many different things. I know that this is an area that most would rather not go. Thanks for the help, I look forward to your opinion. bluejay864
  2. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Manuf have set sizes that will fit rims, you can't go too large without changing the rim width.

A 160 pretty much needs a 4 inch wide rim, stock is much less than that about the most you can go is 150 and that's at the edge (again depends on the rim size)
  3. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yep

I have to go with Hotroadking, I put an 150/80 on an FXR I had and it barely fit on a stock Harley 16” rim. (3 ½”). 120 front? do you mean 130? On an 16” rim? Or do have an 21” rim? Where they do have an 120/70 with recommended rim of 3 ½” . You should not have any clearance issues on the back of ol’FLH as long as you stay with these. If the front was made for the 16” and you want an 120/70-21 you will have to change the fender. JMO’
    Good Luck
  4. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member