1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which air cleaner is right for me

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by tacotruck, Nov 24, 2009.

1. tacotruck

tacotruck New Member

I have a 2008 HD Night Train (FXSTB) with SE slip on mufflers, I am looking to up grade my stock air filter to a high flow one. However, ther are so many of them on the market, it's a bit overwhelming to pick one that fits my needs. I want performance and style. So, I have been looking at Arlen Ness Big sucker stage one with the stainless steel filter, Roland Sands Design Speed 5 air cleaner, and HD heavy breather. In addition to the filter, I would like to have installed the CV Performance deluxe tuner kit. The qustion is which filter will give me, greater power gain and better throttle respones? I don't know anything about engines so, I am going to have a shop install these for me. Does the shop have to add or adjust anything eles on my bike in order to make these up grades and the engine run properly? I would like to know what to expect from the shop so I don't get played like a fool. thanks
  2. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

The CV Performance tuner Kit is for Carbureted bikes. The ness big sucker seems like a popular choice for air cleaner systems. I use an older style SE when they still used K&N air filters.
  3. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

tacotruck your bike is fuel injected so it will need a fuel tuner aka power commander or Se fuel so the shop can do want is called a remap , it let the shop run & set the fuel inj up right so you wont burn up the engine use a good shop with a dyno & chech around with rider who use them, to see if there happy with there work
    Air cleaner set up just look at what your wallet & go from there , the big sucker a good one ,I run the paper one from SE & just replace it twice a year
  4. tacotruck

tacotruck New Member

Thanks, for the info. Is there anything eles that I can do to get more power out of my bike, with out having to do any big engine work? In about four years I plan to have the 103ci up grade done, however, that is going to take me a while to be able to afford that.
  5. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

How much more power do you want or need? You have a 96incher now. Get a tuner with auto tune attached. Then tune it to get the very most out of it. Get to know your bike then ride it like you stole it and that will be all the power you need or probably want. There's always going to be somebody faster or more HP or more this or that.

where is morro bay?
  6. tacotruck

tacotruck New Member

Morro Bay is located in, Ca. central coast four hours south of San Fransisco, and three hours north of Los Angeles, of High Way 1, great place for riding, long open roads with sweeping turns that are angled perfectly for riding or driving. Rideing up Hwy 1, going into Big Sur is some of the most beutiful riding you can do, respectfulley in my opion. As for power, I ride like I stole it, and I think that is the problem. If you ever ran from the law you would know you can't get away fast enough, and I say that with no disrespect to anyone. I say it only to make my point. I don't know the mechanics of my bike, but i do know the power it has and I respect it greatly: if I did not then it would be the death of me. If anybody was satisfied with a stock bike, then thats all that would exist, and you wouldn't have things like SE with K&N air filters, or any other hop-up parts. But, thank you for your advice. I have learned alot from this site and hope to continue to do so. thank you, for your knowlege that you chose to share with me, and others.
  7. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

tacotruck
    I was stationed at Fort Ord in Monterey in '69 and you have some beautiful country all along Highway 1 or even a bit inland on 101. I have eaten at the Nepanthe restaurant below Big Sur and the view is wonderful. Riding on Highway 1 would be like riding on some of the roads here in the Smokies of east Tennessee.
  8. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

man I was also at fort ord in 69 would have to look up the company numbers now can't remember them , but do remember driving to Big sur & the great scenery , a couple of us wood go into town & rent I think there where Hondas & ride all over there we had weekends off in A I T
  9. dmassey

dmassey Active Member

cowboy what company were you in at Fort Ord? I was in the Hospital Company and lived in the first barracks on the corner just up from the "Orderly Room". My wife an I were back out there about three years ago and man has everything changed. Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove and Salinas (almost) all run together now. the Post was run down and somewhat depressing but as we drove around the Post, it brought back a bunch of memories.
    Danny