1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by NeilP, Jan 24, 2010.

1. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

HI

Am feeling a bit fed up today.

I bought a Big Sucker kit, because i thought from what I had been told on one of my earlier posts

http://bike-talk.com/forum/cvp-stage-1-tuners-kit/9979-recommended-uk-supplier.html post no.7

and from what I had read, that I could use the OEM chrome filter cover with the Big Sucker Kit.

I read the instructions stage by stage as I fitted the kit, BIG MISTAKE What I should have done is turn over and read the other side BEFORE I started....
    It says on the other side

NOTE: The OEM XL air cleaner cover will not work on any Big Sucker, Billet Sucker, Or Derby Sucker applications........

So what I want to know is this..Is there a Big Sucker kit that WILL use the original cover?

It is to go on a 2004 883 Sportster. I want to keep the bike looking standard, with the 883 logo on the air filter cover.

Cheers

Neil
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

have you tried to fit it and see why it wont fit?? some times it is just a very minor mod to get it to fit, and they would like to sell a filter cover. i actually use an old evo cover on mine....looks like the old panhead/knucklehead covers.....
  3. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Screw holes are wrong. The centre of the Big Sucker filter has a single screw hole, and the 883 cover has two holes.

There is a frame that takes the OEM chrome cover on the outside of the original air filter unit. This has the same three hole pattern as on the outer panel of the filter element, so I could block off the middle hole on the airfilter, get longer bolts and spacers and bolt the frame to the back of the filter element and do it that way.....I think ...that is from memory this afternoon, i did try a few ways but nothing obvious.
    it would be a bit of a bodge job, but it may work
    That is why i was wondering if there was different kit available
  4. chucktx

i believe they are all the same....the one i used only has the one hole in it and i used a short piece of fuel line to space it, and give it some give....
  5. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

When you say 'the one' are you referring to the external chrome cover or the actual filter unit?

My Chrome cover has two holes in it..from memory about 3 inch spacing...the cover is oval
  6. chucktx

i am referring to the cover......a nice round cover with a single hole in the center. it screws into the actual filter. if i wanted to keep the stock cover, i would fab a plate the length i need. weld or drill it to accept two screws from the outer cover, drill a hole in the center to attach it to the filter housing. attach the bar to the filter. then attach the outer cover to the bar.........
  7. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

well, yes i could make something up, I have some stainless around , but i am getting very lazy, i alway stay and avoid doing my own fab unless I really have to
  8. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Neilp - The oval cover is sporty only and will require a mod. EVO covers are round and will fit without mods.
    The strap idea is probably the way to go.
    Have fun on your trip.
  9. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

had a look at the strap idea this morning, but no go,
    Even with no strap the cover does not cover all the filter, once I put a bar across it, it pushes the cover out far enough to expose the filter element half an inch, so if it rains it is going to get wet.

So for now I have re jetted the carb back to standard jets, and put the standard filter back on.
    Tried the local dealer this morning for a standard round cover, but they have nothing.

No other dealers in Jersey who do any work on Harleys so will have to look at e-bay again

Neil
  10. chucktx

the cover you are looking for is for an older evolution cruiser style......roadking/electraglide
  11. chucktx

12. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Yes, that is the sort of cover, thanks, I'll keep an eye on that
  13. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Why not contact the mfg direct

Arlen Ness

they have a contact us link, with email.
  14. HarleysLR

HarleysLR Active Member

Attached Files:

15. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Thanks guys.
    I did contact Arlen Ness, and the only thing they could suggest was a pre filter sock to, no mention of a cover from them.
    I did manage to find that they do sell their own cast covers for the Stage 1 kit and they are on their site, although the bloke who answered the e-mail did not initially let me know about them.

I spoke to Phil at Concordia, and he can get me one but did say having the filter exposed a bit is not a worry and rain on it should not be a problem, so I may go back to plan A and make a bar and use the 883 original cover even if it leaves some of the filter exposed to the rain.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  16. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Phil is smart has a good rep

I would make a bar and run the stock cover over it...
  17. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

I could always make a little sheet metal extension from the bar, over the top and front just to keep the worst of it from blowing in to the filter
  18. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Or ya coud put a petticoat on the back edge of the cover - ya know something in pink with purple polka dots. Then enter it has a custom in the local bike shows. It would get the ladies attention for sure. :roflmao::roflmao:
  19. NeilP

NeilP Active Member

Hey yea, I got an industrial sowing machine for making sails and car covers etc, down the farm, so i reckon I could knock something up in pink
  20. chucktx

you guys crack me up!!!!!!!!!!!!