1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which Pipes

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FLHTbiker, Nov 3, 2008.

1. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Sense I have no work today or for the last week I decided I would pull the Sampson fishtail mufflers of the Springer that I just picked up. I don't see how in the world you can get any gain in HP or torque with those things. There is no baffle at all inside and Sampson claims where the pipe is necked way down just before the fishtail that it acts as the baffle. What a joke, what would be a good set of mufflers to put on it. I still like the fishtail look but not Sampson's.
  2. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

My samsons fishtails have baffles , I also have a set of samsons fishtails stright pipes with the narrow end right before the tail , I do like the sound of the baffled tails On my E glide:cool:
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i put a set of j&p cycle no names on mine....good sound and baffled.....i can still hear my radio............:)
  4. grandpa tom

grandpa tom New Member

They may be right as any flow restriction that limits the header system ( less area) is looked upon a back pressure..
    Being they made the mufflers I would thing they know what they are doing and saying or, maybe I wouldnt buy their pipes without futher questions...
  5. 02glide

02glide New Member

V and H

My bike has the v&h pro pipe and I love it.
  6. Art_NJr

Art_NJr New Member

Choice of exhaust system basically boils down to 3 things - appearance, sound, performance & rarely do you get all 3 in the same package. Of course appearance & sound are totally subjective & many people are willing to give away some performance for the style/sound they want. Then there are the "form follows function" folks (like me) who will say it looks that way because to do what it does it has to.

Unless performance in a particular rpm range is your only goal, nobody can tell you what exhaust is best for your bike & for example, a friend of mine has uspwept fishtip pipes on his Ironhead Sportster. Does look/sound pretty cool, but performance-wise it's terrible - but that's OK - it's what he likes. And in one shop with a dyno, a V&H Pro Pipe on a Dyna was replaced with equal-length duals & Cycle Shack slip-ons - picked up 13 HP before the carb tuning even started. But the bike looked/sounded a lot different & the owner liked the 2-1 better. That's fine, but he found out why the power wasn't as good as it could be.

So, go with whatever "floats your boat" :roflmao: :roflmao:
  7. reginasaskatchewancanada

reginasaskatchewancanada New Member

i to agree sound and appearance are definately yhe most important i still like the look of duals i m not realy into 2into1 setups
  8. FLHTbiker

The 2into1 does give better performance but like you I to like the looks of the duels on both my Heritage Springer and Ultra.
  9. LGBHD

LGBHD New Member

The best pipes I have tried (to me) are the Trure Duels by BUB 7's. Very deep but not harsh sound. I put them on last fall and just fell crazy for the sound. Also increased hp by 1. The dino tells the truth.
  10. sarge7

sarge7 New Member

Ask a hundred different riders what pipe is best and you'll get a 100 different answers. Bottom line! - Get what works best for you.
  11. chucktx

go to a bike nite or dealer on a saturday.....listen to the bikes, when ya find one that sounds like you want......ask the rider about them, he will probably go on for an hour or two about the pipes.......hope this helps!
  12. fujimo

fujimo New Member

pipes

hang in there and we will get together for pipes if you are interested,,,i have a set of screaming eagle fishtails and a set of new stock mufflers,,,can fit baffles from them into eagles,,,or ,,,run my eagles as is,,,, very loud,,,hole punched in both,,, also have some others at shop ,,,,stock mufflers are new,,, cheap ,,,or trade for sandwich,,, same for eagles,,,maybe a garcia vega ceeegar,,,, let me kno,,,,i am installling 95 kit beasley bored and polished for me ,,,but only takes a day ,,,so if weather clears one day can run whatever up to you,,,,pops
  13. chucktx

i dont think ya can beat a deal like that!!!!!!!!!!
  14. FLHTbiker

I would love to find a good set of SE mufflers for the Springer, I have the tips from a stock set already (fishtail). Stock pipes are just way to quiet. fujimo who is doing the work on your bike for the 95 inch.
  15. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Try Kerker slip ons... if you want to use your fishtail end caps. I do believe the HD cross over duals they had on the softails are Kerkers.
    SuperTrapp: Performance Exhaust
  16. FLHTbiker

I'm still looking for a used pair of either the Kerker or SE slip on.
  17. fujimo

fujimo New Member

bike work

i am doing work with help of pat harris,,,,who is one of the best bike mech,, i have had the pleasure of knowing,,,can reman ,,,paint and very good with carb work,,,, and cheap,,,AND will let you work on yours in his shop and give advice ,,,,the 95 is a kit put in last year by pat,,, on another bike,,,guy ran for 4000 miles and took bike to latus for a 124,,,,gave me all his crap,,,, 510 g cam,,,etc,,,the 95 was built by beasley there in portland,,,ported relieved ,,,big springs on valves and all the other junk,,,plus ,,, i just put a 42 mikuni on mine ,,,got rid of efi,,,with intentions of rebuild after this fall ,,,got 100000 miles on now,,,so ,,,,i ,,,myself ,,,put in baker 6 speed ,,,gear drive cam ,,mikuni,,, so when he dropped off 95 ,,,he told wife dont worry about price,,,it will get rusty in my garage and pops needs to rebuild his soon ,,,,, the hone marks are still in the cylanders,,, aside from that,,,when pat put this together for him,,,,95,,,he had it dynoed at latus,,,they called pat next morning and asked him if he would like a job,,, said they did not have to adjust anything on bike on dyno,,,, first time ever,,,pat has a personal 69 shovel ,,,which is a one time kick EVERY time,,, i watch every time he starts,,,almost hope it wont go first kick,,,it is not posssible to start like that,,,,time and time again,,,, but back to the pipes,,,we had ,,bassani mufflers,,,bassani tru duels ,,,my gutted screaming eagles,,,stck pipes ,,, and who knos what else,,,, so let me kno if interested,,,might help,,,i also have two 12 ft long shelves of boxes of other parts,,,pc,,,cams ,,,adjustable rods etc,,,, all of it cheap,,,sold last pc for 50,00,,,, pops
  18. FLHTbiker

Fujimo, I would be interested in the SE pipes. Already got a pair of stockers. Would love to spend some time with you just talking about bikes. My 01 Springer has 34,500 on it and I'm going to want to do something eventually.
  19. fujimo

fujimo New Member

pipes

flht,,,i sent you a private mess ,,,with e ,,mail and tele no,,, going to be busy next three four days with 95 install,,,and cruise fix,,, plus i voluntarily built a conssession stand out of a 30 ft bus for the school and need to install electric cords in next couple days before first baseball game,,,, got to get this done and out of way as riding is getting neglected,,,, pops
  20. FLHTbiker

Thanks fujimo I got the message, will give you a call in a few days. Friday I'm going to be out on HWY 6 past Forest Grove doing an inspection but I'll call you probably Thursday. 30 foot bus concession stand, sounds interesting.