1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which tire kit??!!

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by FXSTBI-05, Nov 1, 2005.

1. FXSTBI-05

FXSTBI-05 New Member

I have and 05 Nighttrain and am looking to add some meat to the rear end. NOw I'm not going to extremes. I just want either a 200 or a 230 kit. I am trying to stay away from off-setting the motor and trans too much. I have looked at many kits online but always value the voice of reason and experience. So if anyone has a wide tire kit on their bike now I would greatly value some input!!

PM? SANTEE? CHUBBY'S?--- :mad: ---Who knows?
  2. FXSTBI-05

FXSTBI-05 New Member

Does anyone have any input on their own personal experience with install, handling, and quality of product of your own wide tire kit?
  3. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Hello FXSTBI
    I hate to see ya all lonely like this so, I’ll put my 2 cents in.

I have not done this type of modification before, but, I know folks that have and I like to read, so, the quality of the kits are all ‘about’ the same, the only difference will be the prices.

You could go the Harley-Stealer route and put on the 200 tire, but you will have to deal with that 7/8 belt and it is yet to be determined what kind of horsepower that belt can handle.

There is no way I know of, ( I’ll probably be corrected), to go larger than a 200 tire for a stock/standard Harley frame/drive-line without off-setting the primary and pulley’s or going to a right-side drive, = $$$$.

The install is pretty straight forward and depending what kind of beverages you choose to drink could/should take anywhere from 5-6 hours to two full days.

I know this is probably not the answer you were hoping for, but, at least your not lonely any more.

Good-luck.
    K-B
  4. FXSTBI-05

FXSTBI-05 New Member

THANK YOU. I think this is the first time that anyone has asked for an opinion and not gotten anything. This is exactly the kind of information that I am looking for. I don't think that changing to the smaller belt would be wise as I have a twisty wrist and am moving up to the Screamin' eagle upgrade also. Thanks for the input. I shall put it to good use.

Is RSD a better final answer for a bigger rear tire?
  5. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Yes, the right -side drive is the way to go if you got the money. One of the deals with RSD's is, you can stay balanced and still be fairly-fat, but, it's expensive to do. Doing it right ALWAYS cost more money... Good Luck..
    K-B
  6. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

before you put on the fat rear tire.

see if you can get a ride on something that has a rear tire roughly the same as you intend to install. The only reason I suggest this is that you may not like how your bike handles after you throw all that coin at it. I test rode a Victory Hammer with the fat rear tire..I forget the size..had a bitch of a time getting up on the side of the tire...it was a lot like work..I hated the bike. The regular Victory was a blast to ride so depending on how you are going down the road may have some influence as to what you want to do with the rear tire.
  7. Killer-B

Killer-B New Member

Sleepy is right on track that the size of your tire will change the handling characteristics of your bike. They (who-ever ‘they’ are)have determined that 200mm is about as fat as you can go before the handling gets sluggish. Most modern sport-bikes are running a 200 give or take a fraction. I’m running a 180 with full size belt (1½”)with no off-set, I could go 200 with a chain or a softail belt (1 1/8” ), but I like the idea of a full size belt. I really like having more meat down there and have not found any diminished handling. As Sleep says, if you plan on going fatter than 200 you might want to try and find a fat tire bike to ride first…