1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Which tuner to buy

Discussion in 'EFI Maps and Tuners' started by rpv3247, Jun 1, 2008.

1. rpv3247

rpv3247 New Member

Have 08 Ultra , was told by dealer needed race tuner because all others dont`t change ecm they trick it to do what pc111 wants. Sounds like they want to sell me race tuner and dyno time. Have Bub true duals now considering Arlen Ness big sucker or screaming eagle breather and some brand tuner. What is the best route to go for power and mpg.
  2. DKIN21

DKIN21 New Member

rpv, i am running PCIII on my 07 screamin eagle road king with V&H true dual big shots, then removed there baffels and installed big city thunders qc baffels and have no problems. I see u live in east tenn, if u are close to morristown take it to colbach h-d and talk to russell in shop best around for remapping the efi's. Knoxville H-D sends a lot of people to him.

DKIN

Live Easy, Ride Hard
  3. rpv3247

rpv3247 New Member

Thanks DKIN21. Live in Kingsport. First nice Sat. I`ll check them out.
  4. cardboard

cardboard Well-Known Member

I've been sittin waitin on the Thundermax to come out with a new unit for the 08 Touring. It will not trick the ECM, it replaces the ECM and comes with wide band oxygen sensors and can adjust itself. Still have the TM with Auto Tune I took off my 07 Wide Glide.
    The TM will not only give you better performance, it will give you better fuel milage and cool yer bike off some.
  5. steveb

steveb Active Member

I have a '08 Ultra and Iwas told that the PC3 does not work well on the '08 with the O2 sensors. If you can wait Thundermax is coming out with a new version that will work with the '08's sometime this summer.
  6. jazzhog

jazzhog New Member

Amazing how you buy a top of the line cruiser from the motor company and now you have to put all kinds of dollars into it just to get it to run cooler and better. I know it's just a toy to most of us Hogsters, but come on man give me a break. $900.00 for a thunder max $800.00 for true duels, and then some...WOW ! What ever happen to just buy it and ride it. I'm not excluding my self I've added some performance enhancers to my scoot also but I recall when a set of drag pipes, free flowing air filter and re-jetting was all you really needed and you was good to go. I know their is a price to pay for technology, and we are paying it. "JAZZ" :cool: :eek:
  7. cardboard

Hardly NOBODY buys a HD and rides it as stock, normally the 1st thing they do is change the pipes and air kit, that makes them have to change the fuel delivered to the bike. Why couldn't HD come out with a Unit that will adjust itself, instead of spending 500.00 or so dollars then you having to git a tune and if you change something else you got to git another tune. And the sert is only as good as the tuner. I had a tuner to charge me 350.00 for a custom tune at the dealer and the bike ran like crap.
    HD puts a lot of junk seats on too cause they know were gonna have to git something we can sit on besides a brick. And they make the grips for folks for little hands. they stock grips are so small my hands got cramps in them. They know yer gonna be changing the grips. The tires you git from HD don't last very long either. EVer gone to the dealer and had a tire put on. You can lose 250.00 there easily. Thank god for the Indy shops.
    HD has their place when you have a problem. But this is another time I was asking why does HD drag their feet. Why do we pay so much for a HD bike and a lot of the things on it is Cheap !
    If this bike was built for the EPA sell it to the EPA. The EPA is gonna put us on bikes we peddle and electric ones. The days of the gas operated HD seems to be going out the door. I do not care for Go Green.
    Thanks Al !!
  8. steveb

steveb Active Member

The one thing about technology on the new bikes is they will run well no matter what conditions or altitude you ride . I know several of you do not care for the dealer download , but for pipes and air cleaner it was the best thing I did. The bike runs flawless at all speeds. I am sure by doing that I am not getting all I could out of it but that is ok ,after all it is a bagger I didn't get it to race. I just wanted to be comforatble and sound good.
  9. cardboard

The 2 guys I know at the dealer and a Indy guy dealer told me the dealer download was a bandaid fix.
    A true tuner like a TMA/T will git you better fuel milige too. Did you care arbout that ?
  10. steveb

steveb Active Member

I did want all of that. But at this time for a '08 Ultra that option does not exist. The closest option for that will be this summer when Thunder Max comes out with a tuner that will work on the '08 Ultra and the throttle by wire set up. The new'08 set up is enough different that there is not a good fix unless you want to spend money on a harley race tuner. I am saving my money for the Thiunder Max tuner. They should have by Sturgis time. They are going to be set up at Rapid City Harley.
  11. freerider8

freerider8 New Member

I was going to suggest the dynojet power commander for your scoot but apparently everyone else says that nothing is made for your bike yet, but you could always go to dynojet.com and check to see if they have what you need. I had a dynatek FI controller on my bike and the thing ran like crap, so I sent it back and put a pcIII on it and had the maps done to it and now the bike runs like a raped ape. Of course my bike is an 02 so I could get the parts for it but you may have to wait until its been out for awhile to get certain things.

I also agree with the one guy who says why are harley's so expensive but they put cheap parts on them, they do it cuz they can and know that everyone wants to make their bike their own and they wouldnt make any extra money off of anyone if they did it differently. who can blame them.

It's the American way

Hope this helps

Freerider:cool:
  12. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

JMO,
    I would go with the Race-Tuner from Harley only because it being an '08 model.I have a '07-FLHTi w/cams(Andrews-37h),PCIII,NESS-BIG SUCKER,& THUNDER-HEADER EXH. The PC-III does not use feedback from the oxygen sensors as the race tuner from Harley does.I went with the PCIII because I figured at the time I was only going to install a "stage-1" set-up...yeah right.The PC-III has many capabilities if properly tuned i.e. DYNO TUNING :gah:
    I am still amazed how well my bike runs after the dyno tune was performed.I definitely recommend dyno tuning your ride after you decide how many performance enhancements & type of tuner you will use.Hope this helps,00 wildglide:cool:
  13. 00 wildglide

00 wildglide New Member

You can get 20% off all parts from "HALES HARLEY DAVIDSON" in OHIO.All you need to do is provide them with the part#.Ask for Jim in parts.:D
    The shipping fees are very fair.
  14. viking

viking New Member

I am running an 08 streetglide v/h classic slipons screamin eagle a/c.and a v/h fuelpak.I simply punched in the numbers provided for my bike and set up.The bike dose not pop,fart,serge,miss or anything like that.It runs cooler and pulls hard through all the gears.My gas milage dropped a little,about 2 miles a gallon.No dyno tune.279.00 for the fuelpak here in canada.I know I could probabley squeeze a little more out of the bike with a pc111 but I am very satisfied with the fuelpak.hope this helps.

Viking
  15. cardboard

I didn't want to spend 800.00 Plus on a Sert. So I went with a Big Shot for now. It cooled my bike off. Talk to Chris at this company

Dobeck Performance
    157 Progressive Drive
    Belgrade, MT 59714

To contact us via phone please call us at:
    (877) 764-3337
    (406) 388-2377

AS soon as Thundermax comes out with a unit for the 08 I will want one. Still have the one I took off my 07, The Thundermax that I put on the 07 Wide Glide I had was better than the sert that I had on it before the thundermax.
  16. rjbossman

rjbossman New Member

dynojet powercommander does offer a pc111 for 2008 and it works just fine when properly set up Its funny the harley racer tunner did not work with 2008
    I have installed over 30 PCIIIR in 2008 with great sucess
  17. cardboard

For the Money the Arlen Ness Big Shot is running pretty good right now with the ARlen Ness Big Sucker Stage II air kit.
    Got a buddy that went to Sturgis and talked to Zippers cause he has a 08 Ultra and like me has been waitin on a Thundermax to come out.
    They told him they was in the Beta Testing right now.
  18. steveb

steveb Active Member

When I was in Sturgis last week I talked to every EFI tuner outfit I could find. No one really has an answer yet for the '08 touring bikes. I did talk to a Dyno tuner that said he could make a PC3 work well but it had to be done on a dyno to make it work right. He wanted $800.00 for the PC3 and Dyno time I passed just because if it didnt' work well there was no going back to the guy since he was from the southern part of the US and I live in Minnesota.
  19. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

Hey RJ,
    Do you have a PCIII usb map for an EVO with SE heads, Stage 2 kit and V&H pipes?

Or anything close. I'd like to see it to compare to what I have on mine. I am also very curious about what spark timing you removed for the higher compression.

Send me a private message if you'd like.

Thnx,
    T
  20. cardboard

HD has threw the after market a curve right now. They want us coming to them.