1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Who going to Sturgis 2010?

Discussion in 'Trips N' Trails - the ride is the adventure' started by Tomflhrci98, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Tomflhrci98

Tomflhrci98 Active Member

I'm starting to make my plans and am 90% sure I'm gonna go. I'm planning on a 3 day trip to get there, stay only a couple o days and then a 3 day trip back home. I'm gonna try to get to the Full Throttle on Tuesday nite to see the Marshal Tucker Band, and the usual site seeing in the Black Hills and Deadwood.

Anybody else planning to go - when and where???
  2. ironhorse

ironhorse Active Member

heck if your cutting through let me know, I have been in Lusk working now for about a month, probably move over to Torrington during sturgis, might even get the boys and bros in laws to head up there.
  3. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

might get there..depends on some work issues
  4. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

The Wife and I are going. We have reservations at the Bear Butte Campground. Plan on getting there on Sunday the 8th and staying thru Thursday the 12th. We have some good rides planned once we get there. We’ve been before but did too much drinking and partying, had fun just didn’t see as much of the area as we hoped. This time we’ll haul them up there for two reasons; 1st it will have been four months since I broke my back and the Doctors put my foot back together and neither is very dependable yet, Don’t want to get a 1000 miles from home then not be able to ride the area that we went to ride or have to get someone bring a trailer to get me home, 2nd I bought em, I paid for em and I’ll haul em if I want to!:D it's that simple.
  5. TM103

TM103 Active Member

Hell yea. Leaving here on the 3rd and get in there the 5th. Staying at the BS:D
  6. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

Leaving here on the 1st going thru Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado and ending up at Ellsworth AFB in Rapid City around the 5th. Plan on coming back around the 11th. Been there four times before and just need to visit places we missed some how.
  7. RaKs toy shop

RaKs toy shop Active Member

If anyone is interested in a small water and tear resistant Sturgis area map that plots day rides. The Harley web site has them. They are $5.95 + S&H. it’s not a bad little map.

Harley-Davidson® Motorcycle Maps
  8. Tomflhrci98

I think I'll leave SoCal on Friday the 6th and head up route 15 - go as far as Provo Ut. Next day, go through Jackson and ride around Yellowstone for a bit, may end up in Montana for the second night. Third day off to Sturgis to hang for a few days. I have always stayed at the Hogheaven Campground but it is getting way too many camper trailers and RVs w/generators. I got to try and find another place that has mostly tents. At least the KOAs try to separate tents from RVs.

On the way back my wife is meeting me at a nice lodge near Zion National park in Utah. Its only a 6 hour drive for her and we'll spend a couple of days there to do some hiking and/or siteseeing before heading home.
  9. Tomflhrci98

Whats up with Ellsworth ARB? Do they have camping there?
  10. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

They have a FAM Camp for RV's and tenting. It's on the base so the rates don't go up like they do everywhere else during Sturgis. It's only $35.00 a night with everything. It's not bad and your away from all the noise.
  11. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Do you have to be retired military or can anyone camp there.
  12. duke76

duke76 New Member

Will be going the 6th-14th staying at Hill City, Todd
  13. lwedwards

lwedwards Active Member

You have to be retired or on active duty. One of the draw backs is you have to have full finger gloves, long pants, long sleeve shirt, reflectorize vest, helment, and boots to ride on base. The FAM camp is less than a mile from one of the gates so everyone gets dressed and rides right outside the gate and pull off the long sleeve shirt and reflectorize vest. Some pull off their helments but I usually keep mine on and I always wear boots and long pants so no problem for me.
  14. quietone

quietone Active Member

Going out the 7th, coming back the 13th or 14th. Averages about 10 hours from here at 625 miles. If you take hwy 14 vrs I90 make sure you can get 180 miles on your tank to get accross the last half on South Dakota or carry some gas to get you into Sturgis. If you want to drink when there get a day long pass on "DaBus" when your there, they travel to all the campgrounds, Deadwood, etc, and when you are on Dabus it's only 2 dollars a beer not 4 or more like in the bars. You have to finish your beer before you get off but you can ride around all day till your done and see the sights at the same time. When heading out of town from the Broken Spoke toward Full Throttle you have to stop at the stop sign in the middle of the street look to the left and maybe I'll wave to ya, been camping there since 85, tents only, no campers or RV's, and you get to see everyone coming or leaving town. Can be quite entertaining sometimes to watch while you drink at night and you can walk downtown if you want.
  15. Tomflhrci98

Yup! ya gotta love DaBus. :drunk:

One year leaving sturgis riding east on 90 in SD we hit a head wind and a lot of guys where running out of gas. I saw this one guy with his o'lady pushing the Ultra and he was riding to steer it.:rolleyes:

So you been camping at Full Throttle campground? I thouhgt that would have been crazy there. Do you recommend it?? I'm looking for alternatives that arent too crazy and aren't too expensive. Lemme know.
  16. quietone

quietone Active Member

no I don't camp at the full throttle, when you drive through town towards the full throttle you pass the broken spoke on the main street and about three or four blocks later there is a stop sign in the middle of the street to which everyone has to stop. From there you take off and go past the park an such and maybe 2 miles later is the full throttle on the right. When you stop at the stop sign in town take a left into the parking lot and take a right to the next house which is Mike an Evee's house and camp in their back yard. You will see a white semi-trailer by the house which has three bathrooms and showers in it which are open from 6 to 6 at 5 bucks a shot. That stop sign is the last right turn you can take to get to the back streets of town also. The vfw is only 5 blocks away also from there which is a good place to eat and a cheap place to drink also. The parking lot you turn into is the lot of a car repair shop last year. When you pass the broken spoke the road makes a curve to the right and bout 2 blocks later is the stop sign. you are about 5 to 6 blocks total distance from the spoke
  17. Tomflhrci98

Thanks Quietone,
    Sounds like a good deal. I'll check it out.
    I only barely remember this part of town because I've only gone to Full Throttle at night when it was dark already, but I do remember the park on the north side and the stop sign which also doubles as a police check point. Usually the cops only stop you if you are obviously drunk because they know that 100% of the bikers after midnight are going to be drunk and they can't stop everyone.
  18. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

so much for that plan..I'm out .......first one missed since '92.
  19. FLHTbiker

FLHTbiker Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that's quit a run you had going there. You came close to getting your 20 year patch.
  20. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

yeah..it was a good run hope it's a good year there.