1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Who Has Abs Brakes On Their Harley

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by reginasaskatchewancanada, Feb 18, 2009.

1. reginasaskatchewancanada

reginasaskatchewancanada New Member

I am going to purchase a new street glide but i am not sure if i should get on with abs or not is it going to cause more problems than its worth? or is it really a good thing to have this is about the last thing i am trying to decide before i go make the purchase any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
  2. steveb

steveb Active Member

I ordered my '08 ultra with ABS and I do not regret getting it. It stops good with out locking up the tires and stays straight in hard braking. I found out on the interstate at 80 mph a guy in a truck cut over right in front of me and had to brake very hard to avoid slamming into his rear bumper. Worked well.
  3. jarhed

jarhed New Member

I have an '08 ultra w/ABS and do not regret it either. I've been riding for nearly 36 years now and I've had to jump on the brakes 2x w/ this new bike and it stayed straight and stopped, I believe, much quicker than I could have w/o the ABS.
  4. kenfuzed

kenfuzed Administrator Staff Member

My 08 Street Glide has the ABS option and I love it. On a heavy cruiser it stops great. At first I thought it would be similar to how ABS feels in a car when the pedal pulses and sinks under your foot (sort of mushy feeling), but after testing it out on my bike I can honestly say the braking feels firm and very controlled. Given that I ride the chaotic freeways here in SoCal I really like how these brakes handle.
  5. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

I don't but my bike is an '04. I had ABS on a BMW K1100LT and it saved my ass. I tried the ABS on a demo ride at Sturgis on an Electra Glide..it worked really well. The next Harley I buy will have ABS...I can handle a bike fairly well but the first time I get ham handed with the front brake on snow and the bike stays upright will pay for it..it's cheap insurance.