1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Why won't it start?

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by LawDog3007, Aug 13, 2009.

1. LawDog3007

LawDog3007 New Member

I'm having a frustrating time with an electrical/starter problem. I have had some problems with starting. During cold starts I occasionally get only the "click" from the starter engaging but nothing else. It's one of those problems that comes and goes so it has been hard to diagnose. So I come to this community with a humble heart seeking help. Apparently the 24 year old mechanic at the dealership where I finally took it couldn't solve it either. Quick facts: 94 'Softail Evo w/ S&S super E. In the last year I have replaced/rebuilt the battery, battery cables, starter relay, fuses, and carburetor in an effort to solve this problem.
  2. Lucifer

Lucifer Well-Known Member

Could be the starter drive is on the way out,or perhaps the solenoid is sticking. How long has it been doing it??
  3. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

will it start by jumping the solenoid?? if so the problem is in the wiring to the bars, or the relay. if not the solenoid may be faulty. or as stated the drive is binding/worn. let us know what ya find.....
  4. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

Usually when this happens my first inclination is to point you to the ground.

With all the heavy powder coat it's hard to get a frame ground, you need to buff or scrape or dremel away a bit of the powedercoat under the ground connection, be sure you use a star washer (they are the ones with teeth that bite into the surface of the frame) and be sure it's good and tight.

Take the battery, even though it's new, to a good auto store and have them load test it, might be taking a charge but giving that charge back up is key. Usually when my heritage does this the battery is low, and you could have a drain somewhere pulling off power lowering the ability of the battery to give full charge back when starting.

If all that works out you need to look into the starter, jackshaft etc. Make sure it's working properly.

If you have to go for an aftermarket starter All Balls starters are good and have a lifetime warranty..
  5. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Pul the right side cover off the starter down in the middle push it in with A screwdriver (make sure it's in nutrul) if it starts it in your wiring just a clunk it;s the starter
  6. LawDog3007

LawDog3007 New Member

That was my next move to buy and install a solenoid switch to bypass the wiring. I appreciate the posts. I have owned and worked on this bike since 2001 and nothing is more frustrating than electrical problems. Especially when you give in and take it to a dealership, pay $80.00 an hour and find out they haven't really fixed the problem. I am new to posting here but have been a reader for awhile and know that the regulars on here know their stuff.
  7. hotroadking

hotroadking Super Moderator Staff Member

you should be able to get it diagnosed yourself with meters and test, I think you can simply jump with a wire from the battery to the starter to see if the solenoid will work...
  8. cowboy140

cowboy140 New Member

I had the same problem with my '95 Fat Boy after I had taken the primary off for something and it will drive a guy up the wall trying to get the starter to engage and turn the engine over EVERY time not just sometimes.
    After I replaced the battery, starter, jackshaft,relay etc. I finally put a push button switch on the solonoid ... problem solved! Now if the handlebar switch doesn't work I have the option to just reach under the oil tank and push the button. Has not failed me yet. Wish I had done that before replacing everything else in the circuit first $$$.
    Good luck.
  9. LawDog3007

LawDog3007 New Member

Cowboy,

That's interesting since that is the same thing I did. I took the whole primary off to replace all of the seals and gaskets. I never thought about it until now but that's when this problem started popping up. I wonder what in the world causes that. I have been to three different mechanics in the last year and a half and none of them have been able to properly diagnose the problem. I'll let you know the results once I mount one of the solenoid buttons on.
    thanks
  10. quietone

quietone Active Member

hey, know what you mean. Have a 94 fxdwg with 110,000 miles and 2 years ago it started doing the clicking thing. Turned out to be the solinoid making the click. Put in all new parts and to this day sometimes when I hit the start button it just goes "click". So my fix so far was to take a drill and put a little hole in the end cover of the solinoid on the right side of the bike. Now when I hit the button and it goes "click" I just reach my right hand down with a pen or my leatherman and wilst I push the button with my left hand I insert the pen in the hole which gives the end of the solinoid a boost and the bike starts great. It does not do this every time, might happen twice in a row and sometimes it works great for a week or two.
  11. whacker

whacker Active Member

I had this "clicking" problem with my 75 sportty,I was checking voltage at the solenoid,and found out I wasn't getting the voltage to the starter,with the starter button pushed in.I jumped the starter right from the battery terminal on the solenoid,it cranked.I checked the starter button,and had a connection there.I replaced my starter solenoid,and the problem was corrected...Hope you find your problem...Al
  12. LawDog3007

LawDog3007 New Member

I replaced the jackshaft with an aftermarket piece and put a plunger on the solenoid. I still got the clicking when I used the starter button, but when I used the plunger it fired right up. I guess it's time to think about getting a new starter. . .
  13. LawDog3007

LawDog3007 New Member

Oh yeah, and bought yet another new battery. This one I had load tested right out of the box to make sure I wasn't buying a heavy paper weight.
  14. cowboy

cowboy Moderator Staff Member

Most of the time if the plunger will start your bike it in the wiring somewhere /start button ect
  15. quietone

quietone Active Member

The whole clicking thing started 2 years ago in Sturgis. When I got home the first thing checked was the wiring harness and the start switch was replaced. Problem persisted and she got sick of pushing and being start for me. Thats when the hole was drilled allowing a pen to become a plunger button for me and has worked without fail ever since. The only iffy thing about this is as a result of this she got her cycle endorsement now and claims the fxr as "hers". So much for the spare bike rule
  16. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

i agree....sorta....the solenoid may be your culprut. there is a metal disc that can get corroded/and "arced" and not making a good contact. also the plunger in the solenoid can become dirty and not sliding freely. try cleaning these two items before spending the money on the new starter. to clean the disc i use sandpaper, also clean the two contacts in the solenoid. clean the plunger and hole it slides in with a cleaning solvent.....hope this helps a bit.........