1. After 20+ years it's time to pass the torch. If you are interested in acquiring this forum please contact support@cv-performance.com for details. Any spam will be reported and blocked.
  2. Welcome to Bike Talk, a forum for all bikers and motorcycle enthusiasts. If you are new to Bike Talk, be sure to register for free and join the conversation.

There's always someone around willing to help out with questions or give a friendly wave back. All Harley and metric riders are welcome.

Wide tire conversion

Discussion in 'Motorcycle Tech Talk' started by drillsarge, Jun 3, 2007.

1. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

I would like to convert my 77 FX to a wide tire, does anyone know what the max size tire could be put on safely and would I neeed to change the tranny from a 4 speed to anything else.:)
  2. chucktx

chucktx Moderator Staff Member

are ya just wanting to put a wider tire on your rim?? or do a wide tire converson??? swingarm and all??
  3. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

WooooooHooooo, I hope you got some time on your hands! It's great fun, but it'll take a while. I bought my kit from Hogpro in Ca. I don't know if they sell one for your bike but you can always check them out online. Good luck, and let us know if we can help. See my gallery or ReeseSS gallery. We both have 04 Dyna's and did conversions on ours.
  4. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

conversion kit with swingarm
  5. drillsarge

drillsarge Active Member

nice!!
  6. voodoochild

voodoochild New Member

Thanks Drillsarge, it only took me 6 months to do.....:eek: Well, actual work time was far less. I have my own business and it takes up most of my time doing that, doesn't leave much time to work on the bike at night. You'll get alot of advice here, but the best advice I can give is make sure you have a manual for your bike and make sure you do a complete mock up before you send all your parts out for paint and powdercoat. Also, I made all my clearances, spaces, etc, as tight as I possibly could. I got everything in line to within .005". Don't know if it really matters to get that close, but it sure don't hurt! Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.